Academic Program Specialist
Academic Program Specialist
Non-Exempt, Contingent II, Full Time, Pay Grade 009
Job Location: Adelphi , Maryland
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC), formerly UMUC, seeks an Academic Program Specialist. Under general supervision, independently coordinates the operational tasks involved in the day to day administration of one or more major academic program such as Faculty Promotion and Tenure, Residency Recruitment and Training, Continuing Education, Professional Development, and Admission and Registration.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Receives, screens, and responds to inquiries on the phone or in writing. Provides general information about the program such as admission requirements, basic academic policies, and general program content.
- Coordinates administrative processes involved in supporting academic programs which typically include recruitment, selection, admission, registration, orientation, and progression of students, residents, or participants.
- Ensures that all required forms and documentation are complete. Compiles, updates, and maintains all records related to assigned administrative processes.
- Provides administrative support to the committee which administers the appointment, promotion, and tenure review of faculty.
- Assists in planning and coordinates all activities involved in organizing lectures, conferences, seminars, workshops, symposiums, and special events such as staff retreats.
- Participates in all efforts to promote and publicize the program such as recruitment fairs and professional conferences.
- Assist in the design, edits, and prepares drafts of marketing, public relations, and other informational materials. Coordinates printing and publication requirement with University or other external resources.
- Collects and enters information needed for database and tracking system on program activities. Compiles statistics, presents these in table or chart format, and prepares reports for program evaluation, compliance, and survey participation purposes.
- Prepares, organizes, and disseminates class or conference schedules, course descriptions, outlines, syllabus, handouts, and other similar materials through close coordination with faculty.
- Serves as a liaison between students, residents, or faculty and department staff regarding payroll, benefits, reimbursements, and other administrative matters. Assists with travel, housing, and visa requirements.
- Assists in the preparation of grant and contract and project proposals.
- Maintains and monitors the budget. Records details of financial transactions and processes documents such as invoices, vouchers, receipts, reimbursements, and requisitions. Prepares financial statements and summaries.
- Assists with program evaluation activities and recommends ways to efficiently utilize space, equipment, and personnel resources.
- May supervise the activities of clerical staff including establishing priorities, training, and evaluating performance.
- Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning
- One year experience in administrative staff work in which program coordination in a directly related field was a primary responsibility.
- General knowledge of business English, spelling, and grammar.
- General knowledge of and skill in the use of word processing, database, and spreadsheet software to produce documents and maintain information.
- Skill in performing basic mathematical computations.
- Ability to present statistical material in table, chart, or graph form.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioitize multiple tasks and assignments.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive matters with tact and discretion.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships. Ability to operate computers and other office equipment.
- Ability to train, supervise, and evaluate personnel.