The Engineering Intern would work under the supervision of an Engineering Project Manager or Assistant Project Manager to support assigned projects including the following duties:
- Assist engineering staff with ongoing projects.
- Perform field inspection of sidewalks or public projects in construction.
- Perform design engineering calculations or data evaluation with supervision from a senior engineer.
- Perform AutoCAD at an entry level to open and review existing CAD drawings.
- Summarize data, document work, and prepare reports for review by senior staff.
Normal business hours are 8am - 5pm, Monday through Friday. If construction inspection is being performed, then work hours may shift as needed. Work hours are flexible to accommodate school schedules as needed. Expectation is 30-40 hours per week for summer 2023 with the possibility of extension and 12-18 hours per week during the school year, not to exceed one year without reapplying.
Minimum Training and Experience
- Must be a current student at an accredited college or university pursuing a degree in engineering.
- Familiar with Microsoft Products including Word and Excel.
- Comfortable working in teams, organizing work, and meeting due dates.
- Modern Office Equipment
- English grammar, spelling, punctuation
- Enrolled in an accredited Civil, Environmental, or Structural engineering program.
- Finishing sophomore or junior year by May 2023.
- Ability to respond to public inquiries and internal requests with diplomacy and professionalism.
- Detail-oriented and excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to exercise confidentiality, independent judgment , and discretion, and handle sensitive matters.
- Ability to think critically, assess both short- and long-term outcomes and understand the larger perspective and goals of the department and City organization.
The work environment and exposures described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position involves medium physical demands, such as exerting up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.