Division of Racial Justice Statistics Data Analyst
The Office of Racial Equity (ORE) at the State of Vermont is seeking a Racial Justice Data Analyst. This position will work within the Division of Racial Justice Statistics (DRJS) to provide analysis and recommendations on processes to improve data collection and quality. The position may prepare information to inform testimony for legislative hearings, attend meetings with state Boards, Committees, Commissions, and Councils as requested. The Data Analyst will contribute to the development and management of public-facing data tools, visualizations, and websites, which may require working with the Agency of Digital Services to coordinate the development of necessary tools, systems, and future enhancements to support the work. The Data Analyst may help coordinate research partnerships and contracts with external partners, and help coordinate research requests, and will assure that federal and state statistical reporting requirements are met.
This position will bring an equity lens to all aspects of research and policy analysis, which will require:
- Knowledge and ability to apply equity principles to traditional research methods while ensuring a high level of analytical rigor.
- Working knowledge of the operations, characteristics and capabilities of automated data processing tools and the application of such tools to information processing needs.
- Ability to analyze complex activities, relationships, and situations; identify problems; draw logical conclusions; and develop and defend independent recommendations.
- Ability to present complex concepts and analyses to a wide range of audiences through clear and accurate reports and through other communication methods.
- Ability to plan, organize, and evaluate the work assignments of technical specialists in computers and information systems.
- Ability to acquire, organize, and correctly interpret large amounts of data.
- Extensive knowledge of the data management lifecycle, with experience in data collection, maintenance, and analysis.
- Ability to lead efforts to develop complex queries to summarize and aggregate data sources and integrate large amounts of disparate data as well as review these queries with an eye for accuracy.
- Considerable knowledge of statistical methods including analysis of variance, non-parametric statistics, multiple regression, survey sampling, multi-variant methods, and experimental design.
- Considerable knowledge of program evaluation instruments, procedures, and techniques.
- Knowledge of Agency, State and Federal confidentiality laws, security standards, and necessary access policies as they pertain to clients and data of the State’s systems.
This is an exempt full-time position. Salary and benefits will be based upon qualifications and experience. The State of Vermont offers a benefit package rivaling any employer in Vermont, which includes a top-notch health care plan, generous sick and annual leave, and employer contribution to pension plans.
Bachelor’s degree or higher in data science, computer science, statistics, geographic information systems, sociology/anthropology, or related field AND two (2) or more years of experience in one or more of the following areas: statistical or analysis, data science, program/project management, or policy development.
Four (4) or more years of experience in one or more of the following areas: statistical or analysis, data science, program/project management, or policy development.
Professional or volunteer experience in a field related to equity, social justice, and/or diversity/inclusion.