Stakeholder Relations Intern
At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career today.
The Stakeholder Relations Intern will work within AES Clean Energy’s Stakeholder Relations team in Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Minnesota, and many other MISO & ERCOT territory states. This is an exciting opportunity to learn and apply industry-leading engagement strategies to empower communities and advance a carbon-free future. This role will support AES’ strategic renewable energy related stakeholder engagement from drafting communications and collateral materials to strategic planning, social impact development, and local community engagement. This role will report to the Manager of Stakeholder Relations MISO & ERCOT and is an excellent opportunity for someone who is planning a career in the renewable energy industry.
AES’ people are working together to accelerate the future of energy. Our team is passionate and motivated by improving lives, seeking to make a lasting impact wherever we operate. Fast Company named us as one of the “Best Places to Work for Innovators”, the only US-based energy company to be recognized. This means innovation happens at every level, in every position, and in every country where we work. That’s what transformed us into the global leader in energy storage, new energy solutions and digital technologies. As a member of the AES team, you will support the company’s vision and our journey towards a carbon-free future.
This is a remote position within in the US. Work requirement: No more than 30 hours per week. Some travel required.
As an Intern supporting AES Stakeholder Relations you will:
- Work with the Manager of Stakeholder Relations, MISO & ERCOT to support the execution of state and project-specific stakeholder relations strategies and tactics.
- Support the development and implementation of strategic project engagement plans that align with the company’s brand positioning and support its development objectives.
- Support planning and execution of in-person and virtual community engagement events.
- Create and maintain accurate lists of stakeholders in project areas and assist with documentation of stakeholder interactions through utilization of our stakeholder relations management tool, Quorum.
- Research potential strategic partnerships within local communities hosting AES projects, in alignment with AES’ Social Impact Program.
- Collect and analyze partner feedback through various channels, and document and manage this data utilizing various stakeholder interaction and tracking tools, especially Quorum.
- Monitor toll-free phone line and project emails.
- Support creation and maintenance of state and project websites.
- Support administrative tasks such as processing invoices, mailings, ordering marketing materials, and leading an events and communications calendar.
- Draft targeted external communications such as informational handouts, talking points, presentations, and public meeting displays, to bolster local presence.
- Monitor social and traditional media, including local media.
- Network with peers, AES leaders, and other like-minded employees in dedicated events, lunch and learns and speaker series.
- Participate in formalized AES-specific learning opportunities to further your knowledge and understanding towards accelerating the responsible energy transition.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Interest in the renewable energy industry as well as in external relations, business, communications or equivalent.
- Hands-on, hard-working team player who has a sense of ownership and is eager to support projects from a variety of angles.
- Ability to balance priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfort working cross-functionally and developing consensus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to learn and gain experience in communications, marketing, local governmental processes, event planning, community engagement, and the renewable energy industry.
- Global attitude and comfort with working with people from multiple different backgrounds and cultures.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to learn and apply new tools & systems, including Quorum, Grasshopper Virtual Phone System and Drupal.
- Some experience with MS Office Suite, QuickBase, Box, Microsoft Teams.
- Exemplify our Values of Safety First, Highest Standards, and All Together.
AES is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to building strength and delivering long-term sustainability through diversity and inclusion. Respecting all backgrounds, differences and perspectives enables us to improve the lives of our people, customers, suppliers, contractors, and the communities in which we live and work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or expression, race, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. E-Verify Notice: AES will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Safety comes first at AES. To protect the health and safety of our people, customers, communities and partners, and to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, AES requires all newly-hired people or current AES people applying for U.S.-based role(s), to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or be willing to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their date of hire. Except where prohibited by law or not specifically covered in a collective bargaining agreement, new hires and transfers will be required to provide proof of vaccination during onboarding and periodically thereafter. This policy will comply with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities, as applicable.