Entry-Level Structural Engineering Associate (Bridge Focus) - Portland, OR
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. (WJE) is seeking an exceptional entry-level Structural Engineering Associate to join our bridge engineering team based out of WJE’s office located in Portland, Oregon. During the initial six to twelve months of employment, the candidate will be assigned to our bridge engineering team based at WJE’s global headquarters in Northbrook, Illinois, where they will receive focused on-the-job training.
At WJE, we spend almost as much time in the field, up close and personal with our projects, as we do in the office. This role will require regular nationwide travel to perform on-site forensic investigations, assessment of existing bridges, evaluation of new bridge designs, retrofits, construction, and field testing. As a Structural Engineering Associate, you will apply theoretical knowledge to practical applications for a variety of bridge structures, both modern and historic.
A career at WJE will give you the opportunity to learn from and grow alongside industry-leading experts, as you develop your technical expertise, your hands-on capabilities, and your project management skills, ultimately becoming a well-rounded expert primed to make a meaningful impact in your field.
- Assume responsibility for key aspects of projects and complete assignments with limited oversight, under the guidance of licensed professionals
- Perform hands-on forensic investigations, condition assessments, and construction observations, which may include surveying, documenting distress, field testing, collecting data and samples, and preparing site visit reports
- Mobilize field testing equipment including installation of instrumentation and data acquisition systems
- Install steel repair retrofits under direction and guidance of experienced staff
- Analyze field data and perform research and review of modern and historic construction documents, governing bridge codes, and design guidelines to facilitate analysis, problem solving, and repair design
- Complete structural analysis of concrete, steel, wood, masonry and other structural systems using a combination of hand calculations and analysis software
- Assist with drafting and preparation of conceptual, preliminary, and final client deliverables, including various construction documents, specifications, and written reports
- Interface with project teams, clients, contractors, and other engineering disciplines
- Master's degree or better in structural engineering or related field, from an accredited program (Equivalent relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a Master's degree.)
- Solid foundation in engineering principles and a demonstrated interest in applications for bridge structures
- Effective technical, graphical, written, and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to hands-on fieldwork, including frequent, extended travel
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and curiosity for solving problems and understanding how things work
- Proactive, team player mindset with willingness to take on various responsibilities
- Ability to prioritize tasks and adapt to changing demands, while maintaining a high standard of excellence, integrity, and attention to detail
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability. Individuals must have the dexterity to be able to operate office and field equipment such as computer, printer, fax, copier, telephone, voice mail system, and other office and field equipment. Requirements may also include:
- Ability to attend meetings at the various office, field, and construction sites
- Ability to perform inspections of bridges and other structures, both visually and with instruments
- Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to perform work in the temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors
- Ability to read construction drawings, diagrams, printed materials, and computer screens
- Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
- Ability to travel
- Ability to safely work at heights, possibly by rope access
- Ability to safely use and/or operate ladders, scaffolds, lifts and other access equipment
- Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and construction hazards
- Ability to safely work in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations
- Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle
WJE is a global firm of engineers, architects, and materials scientists committed to helping solve, repair, and avoid problems in the built world since 1956. Our applied experience from more than 175,000 projects combined with unparalleled laboratory and testing capabilities have made WJE a leader in providing innovative yet practical solutions to some of the most interesting challenges in the built world.
Annual starting base salary (gross): $72,000 - $97,400. Actual salaries will vary and will be based on several factors including consideration for a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role. Base salary is one component of our total compensation package for employees. WJE offers an industry-leading total rewards package that enables our employees to grow and thrive with comprehensive health and financial benefits including robust and affordable health plans, generous 401(k) matching and bonus programs, time off to care for yourself and others, and investments in employees’ professional development, to name a few. More information on WJE’s total rewards package can be found here.
WJE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities, minorities, women, and protected veterans (VEVRAA federal contractor).
WJE will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Fair Chance Ordinances.
Keywords: bridge repair, bridge engineer, bridge engineering