Construction Inspector Intern
Do you want to develop your skills and gain real-life experience relating to your civil or construction engineering studies? We are seeking an intern to work up to six (6) months with our Region 2 Construction Office in Salem, OR. This internship will be full-time work with a flexible start date in May or June 2023. First round of applicant reviews to occur 5/1/23. Apply today!
This job posting is for temporary positions and does not include the typical benefits available for permanent employees. Temporary employees may be eligible for employee health benefits offered through the Public Employees Benefit Board (PEBB) as outlined in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
A day in the life:
- Read, comprehend, and interpret contract plans and specifications for roadway construction in order to perform inspection of construction.
- Inspect and document work performed by contractors to ensure public safety, compliance with the contract and FHWA financial participation.
- Checks grade, alignment, size, shape, placement and quantities of materials, storm and sanitary sewer pipe, concrete and concrete forms, fencing, earthwork, landscaping, signing, illumination, coatings, barriers, grout, guardrail, striping, etc.
- Perform engineering calculations associated with engineering and construction projects.
- Assure that material quality is acceptable and is properly documented.
- Monitor project traffic control for public safety and contract compliance.
- Work outdoors, in all weather conditions, 50% or more of the time – field work involves working around construction equipment and traffic hazards, and walking on various types of terrain, climbing ladders, traversing scaffolding, and working in elevated locations.
- This position will be in office and in the field, which may include night work.
What we need:
Current civil or construction engineering college student
Civil or construction engineering graduate within the last two years
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.