Associate Engineer- DER Planning
Eversource Energy is the largest Energy delivery company in New England. We support 3.6 million Gas and Electric customers across CT, MA and NH. Be a part of our mission to deliver reliable energy and superior customer service. ENERGY- BRINGS US TOGETHER!!
The DER Planning Associate Engineer in System Planning provides distribution focused subject matter expertise in DER power system studies and project development by carrying out assignments associated with the technical review and modeling of generation and storage facilities interconnecting with the distribution system. The role requires the modeling, analyses, and planning level designs of distribution lines and substation facilities in an electric power system. Typical DER studies include analyses of distribution connected generation and storage and their impact on the distribution system.
- Develop distribution system power flow model for the purpose of studying the interconnection of generation and storage using Synergi and PSCAD Software utilizing Eversource System Planning Guides.
- Assists in the assessment and analysis of proposed solutions associated with the integration of DER and associated impact on the distribution & ISO-NE regional system. Prepare documentation for the ISO-NE interconnection process as needed.
- Managing the local impact analysis of distribution interconnections on the Eversource distribution system This task includes:
- Review and preparation of Pre-Application Report requests
- Review and feasibility assessment support for applications in the interconnection queue
- Interface and work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders such as: system planning, transmission, distribution line and substation engineering, asset management, siting, environmental and permitting, operations, etc. for the determination of planning needs and proposed plans.
- Verification of technical feasibility or soundness of proposed plans utilizing industry accepted techniques
- Develop design solutions and possible alternatives to mitigate identified assessment criteria violations
- Conducts assessments and develops options to meet DER interconnections by identifying key technical issues and developing proposed and alternative solutions. This task includes: Application of industry and corporate distribution planning standards in conjunction with regulations of Federal, State and Local regulatory authorities
- Demonstrate complete ownership of the projects and being accountable for the overall project schedule
- Participates on Customer Calls in defending technical findings
- Provides weekly updates on project deliverables
- Assist with preparing PAF’s & other internal authorization forms and present at monthly meeting
Other supporting tasks include:
- Represents the department and the company on various industry related committees.
- Serves on specialized internal and external cross-functional teams, as necessary, to develop engineering solutions and customer satisfaction.
- Manage approved inverter list - Reviewing UL certifications to add inverters to our list of approved models for reference
- Clearly and effectively communicates the results of analyses and action plans both verbally and in writing to internal and external stakeholders
- Performs an emergent storm assignment as needed during times of inclement weather or adverse system conditions
- Understanding of electrical engineering concepts such as DG, storage, reliability, load flow, flicker, stability, short circuit, voltage regulation, transients, power factor, losses, etc.
- Technical understanding of the parameters and functions used in the operation of the power delivery system as well as power industry fundamentals, practices, and standards
- Knowledge and experience using power system modeling and simulation software for steady state power flow, voltage, short circuit, stability, and electromagnetic transients.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, presentation, negotiation and persuasion skills both verbal and written.
- Follow Eversource’s Codes of Conduct, Business Ethics, Environmental and Diversity Policies.
Education: Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Systems or related.
Experience: 0-3 years of experience required, experience in an electric utility is preferred.
Licenses & Certifications: EIT or Professional Engineer’s License preferred.