Intern - Merchant Processing
First Merchants Corporation (Nasdaq: FRME) is the largest financial holding company based in Central Indiana. We provide our clients with broad financial services delivered locally by bankers who are known and trusted in their communities. The Corporation has grown to include more than 106 locations in Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio, and a wealth management company. We offer personal banking, business banking, mortgage lending, treasury management services, and wealth management. As of June 30, 2021, total asset size of First Merchants Corporation was $14.9 billion.
Our mission is to be the most responsive, knowledgeable, and high-performing financial organization for our clients, teammates, and shareholders.
We are a team of associates who support and expect superior results from our company and ourselves. Accountability and execution are the foundation of our success.
Below is what you can expect to learn from an internship in our Merchant Services department at First Merchants Bank:
- Learn roles and responsibilities within the Merchant Services Department.
- Learn the importance of portfolio management.
- Learn the sales cycle, relationship banking, and whole-bank selling approach.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize logic and analytical skills in solving problems.
- Ability to look beyond the obvious for alternative solutions.
- Ability to make sound recommendations when there is incomplete information.
The Merchant Services Intern will assist the Merchant Services Sales Manager, Team Lead, and sales team with special projects to include:
- Develop a process/procedure to improve attrition rates within the current portfolio by analyzing various portfolio reports.
- Complete a market study (by Region/State) on competitor pricing and promotions relative to products, equipment, and processing costs.
- Complete a market study (by Region/State) on current sales delivery and card processing trends for the retail, service, restaurant, and lodging industries.
- Review marketing material and website information and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Review LaunchPad Merchant Services pages for improvements
- Review current sales activity reporting methods and provide recommendations for improvements.
- Attend and participate in department and other line of business team meetings.
Successful students will possess:
- Strong Work Ethic
- Team Mentality
In addition to the learning objectives, all interns will participate as a group in a community service project. There will also be the opportunity to network with our Senior Leaders during our final presentation event in the last week of the program. Each intern will present to the wider intern group, managers, and senior leaders about the projects they were involved in and takeaways that will help them be successful in their careers.
Who is qualified to apply?
- be a degree-seeking full time student at an accredited college or university
- Junior status or above at time of application
- be available to work 40 hours per week from May 16, 2022, through August 5, 2022.
- be authorized to work in the United States.
- have demonstrated interest in the industry and/or specific area of interest as exemplified through past work experience, internships and/or major course of study.
- possess a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- have strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- have strong written and verbal communication skills