Intern - Human Resources
First Merchants Corporation (Nasdaq: FRME) is the largest financial holding company based in Central Indiana. We provide our clients with broad financial services delivered locally by bankers who are known and trusted in their communities. The Corporation has grown to include more than 106 locations in Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio, and a wealth management company. We offer personal banking, business banking, mortgage lending, treasury management services, and wealth management. As of June 30, 2021, total asset size of First Merchants Corporation was $14.9 billion.
Our mission is to be the most responsive, knowledgeable, and high-performing financial organization for our clients, teammates, and shareholders.
We are a team of associates who support and expect superior results from our company and ourselves. Accountability and execution are the foundation of our success.
The Human Resources Intern Assist the human resources (HR) department with a range of projects related to general HR functions.
Below is what you can expect to learn from an internship in Human Resources at First Merchants Bank:
- Gain hands-on experience and practical application of employment laws, including the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), etc.
- Learn and assist with processing terminations and new hires.
- Recognize the importance of employment law and compliance as it relates to employment eligibility, confidentiality, proper maintenance of employee files, and forms management.
- Discern the interrelationship the different functional areas of Human Resources (i.e. Payroll, Benefits, Talent Development and other generalist activities).
- Assist with projects as necessary.
Successful students will possess:
- Strong Work Ethic
- Team Mentality
In addition to the learning objectives, all interns will participate as a group in a community service project. There will also be the opportunity to network with our Senior Leaders during our final presentation event in the last week of the program. Each intern will present to the wider intern group, managers, and senior leaders about the projects they were involved in and takeaways that will help them be successful in their careers.
- be a degree-seeking full time student at an accredited college or university
- Junior status or above at time of application
- be available to work 40 hours per week from May 16, 2022, through August 5, 2022.
- be authorized to work in the United States.
- have demonstrated interest in the industry and/or specific area of interest as exemplified through past work experience, internships and/or major course of study.
- possess a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- have strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- have strong written and verbal communication skills