Intern - Commerical
First Merchants Corporation (Nasdaq: FRME) is the largest financial holding company based in Central Indiana. We provide our clients with broad financial services delivered locally by bankers who are known and trusted in their communities. The Corporation has grown to include more than 106 locations in Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio, and a wealth management company. We offer personal banking, business banking, mortgage lending, treasury management services, and wealth management. As of June 30, 2021, total asset size of First Merchants Corporation was $14.9 billion.
Our mission is to be the most responsive, knowledgeable, and high-performing financial organization for our clients, teammates, and shareholders.
We are a team of associates who support and expect superior results from our company and ourselves. Accountability and execution are the foundation of our success.
The Commercial Loans Intern will gain experience within varying roles in Commercial Banking and Credit Administration.
Below is what you can expect to learn from an internship in our Commercial Loans Department at First Merchants Bank:
- Learn the roles within commercial banking including commercial bank products and services
- Learn how to assess credit risk by analyzing potential repayment sources and determining the likelihood of repayment.
- Gain the skills required to analyze financial data by spreading and reviewing financial data.
- Learn the importance of portfolio management by completing interim risk monitoring:
- Complete trend reports for borrowing base certificates.
- Complete covenant monitoring.
- Complete annual credit reviews.
- Report concerns to management and relationship managers.
- Learn the importance of a team-based credit decision process:
- Attend and participate in loan committees.
- Attend and participate in opportunity memorandum discussions.
- Learn the commercial banking sales cycle, relationship banking, and whole-bank selling techniques.
- Gain hands-on sales experience:
- Partner with relationship manager to aid in prospecting activities.
- Interface with clients and gather financial information.
- Schedule and participate in client calls with relationship manager and treasury management officers.
- Learn commercial banking sales management:
- Attend and participate in sales meetings.
- Monitor loan maturity dates and recommend renewal strategies.
Successful students will possess:
- Strong Work Ethic
- Team Mentality
In addition to the learning objectives, all interns will participate as a group in a community service project. There will also be the opportunity to network with our Senior Leaders during our final presentation event in the last week of the program. Each intern will present to the wider intern group, managers and senior leaders about the projects they were involved in and takeaways that will help them be successful in their careers.
Who is qualified to apply?
- be a degree-seeking full time student at an accredited college or university.
- be available to work 40 hours per week onsite from May 16, 2022 through August 5, 2022.
- be authorized to work in the United States.
- have demonstrated interest in the industry and/or specific area of interest as exemplified through past work experience, internships and/or major course of study.
- possess a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- have strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- have strong written and verbal communication skills