Digital Content Producer WZZM
WZZM, TEGNA's ABC station in Grand Rapids, is looking for a dynamic digital content producer to join our team. We're looking for a candidate with a can-do attitude who accurately writes breaking news articles, thrives in a fast-paced environment, loves news and working on the cutting edge of television, digital and social media.
Journalism experience and the ability to produce clean copy are required. Grammar nerd? We want you! This position includes copy editing colleagues’ work. You must be a self-starter we can count on. This producer will use strong news judgement to find and produce original content for WZZM's platforms including broadcast, digital and social.
We want collaborators and creative thinkers who thrive on interacting with our audience and working in a team atmosphere. This role involves working closely with our award-winning anchors and reporters to accurately create and publish content.
Duties include copy editing, writing SEO-friendly headlines, moderating user-generated content, monitoring news tips and using strong news judgement to identify the best stories we should cover for wzzm.com and TV. They will also help monitor what’s trending locally and nationally while working with other TEGNA stations.
TEGNA loves to promote from within, so employees who work hard will have opportunities for upward mobility within WZZM or TEGNA’s network of over 50 TV stations across the US. WZZM's content reaches the audience whenever and wherever they are – on television, desktop, mobile web, our apps, Roku, our YouTube channel, Facebook, and Twitter.
The successful candidate is innovative with strong writing skills, social media experience and solid news judgement. Qualified candidates will have some experience producing television (college experience accepted) or posting stories to digital-mobile-social platforms, knowledge of online CMS software, video and photo-editing skills, and the ability to work a flexible schedule. Preference may be given to those who understand digital audience trends, from social media demographics to effective push alert tactics to what moves the needle on YouTube.
- Help create news content for Local WZZM's broadcast, digital and social platforms
- Report news quickly and accurately as it happens online, with an emphasis on creating the best reader experience while also winning Google Search traffic
- Post photos and other content to weareiowa.com, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Monitor real-time analytics, such as Chartbeat, to maximize reader engagement and learn what kind of stories perform well
- Efficiently scour the Internet, including TikTok, NextDoor, local Facebook groups, Reddit threads, Twitter and Crowdtangle, for viral or impactful stories our audience cares about
- Help with monitoring text messages, e-mails and adding story tips to the daily planner.
- Participate in news editorial meetings, pitching ideas and working with staff to develop original and impactful journalism ideas for digital and TV
- Educational background in journalism/media or strong internship experience
- Outstanding interpersonal, organizational, and time-management skills
- Experience working as a digital journalist preferred
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage assignments and requests from various sources with an ability to work well with varied personalities within deadlines
- Understanding of media ethics as well as fair and unbiased reporting practices
- Experience with video production, YouTube channels, non-linear editing software, Search Engine Optimization or using Chartbeat are a huge plus