Visitor Services Associate
Near IUPUI Campus- Federal Work-Study Eligible Students!
This position is limited to candidates with a Federal Work-Study award. To verify you have a Federal Work-Study award, please go to your One.IU.edu Account -Student Center- Financials- Financial Aid Summary. If you have an award, it will be listed with the rest of your financial aid (loans, grants, scholarships, etc.). You may also email the Office of Student Financial Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about eligibility.
General Purpose of Position:
This position is crucial to the day to day functioning of the Indiana Historical Society; assuring timely, courteous and helpful service of the highest quality is afforded to all visitors at all times.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Act as a source of information for visitors and callers, having knowledge of all current and upcoming exhibitions, events, programs and services.
2. Sell admission tickets using a sophisticated point-of-sale system; tender change; up-sell visitors to IHS membership program when applicable.
3. Process reservations for individuals and groups for general admission, programs, and events using an online reservation system.
4. Assist in History Market as a retail sales representative when appropriate and/or assigned.
5. Assist with daily reporting within the department.
6. Process daily mail and assist internal departments with mailing needs
7. Assist with the processing and coordination of group arrivals by issuing tickets, assisting with disembarking from busses, collection of lunches and coats and issuance of orientation/directions.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Knowledge and understanding of guest service principles and standards.
2. Ability to exercise excellent customer service, teamwork, and highly diverse public service skills.
3. Excellent computer skills; proficient with Microsoft Office Suite as well as basic office equipment.
4. Detail oriented, with the ability to manage multiple tasks at one time.
5. Ability to provide information in a clear and concise manner.
6. Ability to handle cash and make appropriate change.
7. Flexibility to work an adjusted work schedule during typical business hours and Saturdays. Hours will extend during holidays and special events to include evenings and Sundays.
Physical Movement – Stooping, Bending, Kneeling, and Crouching In order to reach & pick up items
Standing – Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time
Strength – Ability to lift & carry items weighing up to 35 pounds
Wrist & Visual Stamina – Ability to type and focus on a computer screen for prolonged periods of time
IUPUI Profiles of Learning for Undergraduate Success Gained:
Communicator The ability to evaluate information, be an active listener, build relationships, and convey ideas effectively.
Problem Solver The ability to think logically, collaborate with students, faculty, and staff, and be able to analyze and evaluate information.