MURI Program: Software Development Researcher for Augmented Reality
DUE is home to IEL and the CRL which is administering the Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research Institute (MURI) both in the academic year and the summer, which creates and supports multidisciplinary research teams consisting of undergraduate and graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, senior staff and faculty. The primary purpose of these teams is to provide undergraduates a unique opportunity to gain research skills by working with mentors on real world problems.
Overview of department:
The AR/Makerspace project is a project focused on the development of new augmented reality hardware and software which will be used to educate within a makerspace and educational environment. This is a partnership between the IUPUI Departments of Computer Information & Graphics Technology, Mechanical Engineering and Machyne, a community makerspace at 16Tech Innovation district.
We are looking for innovative students in the fields of:
- Computer Information Technology
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science.
Students will participate in a team environment to further develop a new platform to educate individuals in a makerspace environment utilizing augmented reality.
Specific tasks that the MURI student will complete:
Duties of the position typically include the following:
- Students will conduct a background review of the literature to understand how to best develop software for an augmented reality environment.
- Students will also be required to build upon the previous MURI project to create educational modules for new machines and platforms.
Specific qualifications (knowledge, skills, class standing, etc) we desire the MURI candidate to have:
It is expected that students will have a basic understanding of code and a desire to develop in Unity as well as other AR platforms.
By the end of this position assignment, the student will meet the following learning objectives
- Each student will gain a strong understanding of how a research project is conducted.
- Students will also learn how to operate as a team, manage one's own time and manage individual portions of the project.
- Students will also gain knowledge in AR development.