K-12 Grade Tutor/Mentor
The IU Student Success Corps program, out of the IUPUI Office of Community Engagement, is looking for individuals who want to get involved in their community; impact the lives of local youth; and gain extraordinary skills and experience serving as a tutor and mentor to K-12 students. The program requires travel to schools and community centers 5-15 minutes from campus for in-person services. Schedules are set each semester and based off applicant availability, which must be between 7:00a.m.-6:00 p.m.
Students in this position will gain knowledge about other cultures through interacting with members of the community, learn how to be better communicators by building relationships with students, peers, school personnel, staff, and strengthen their position as civic-minded scholars. In addition, students in this position will enhance employability skills with a robust professional development program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide academic and socioemotional support to K-12 grade students
· Provide college and career readiness support to students which can include workshop participation
· Assess students' needs through observation and attention to detail.
· Input and track data on each session that takes place within data management system
· Maintain confidentiality of students
· Conduct yourself in a professional manner
· Attend monthly scheduled PD sessions
· Respond to emails and other communications promptly
· Able to work collaboratively with students and staff of diverse cultures and backgrounds
· Able to work a set schedule each week between hours indicated in job description
· Commit to at least 1 semester in this position
· Must be patient, empathetic, and willing to try new ways of teaching students
· Capable of cataloging notes from tutoring sessions, engaging with a payroll system, and complete other tasks with minimal supervision
· Must be able to communicate promptly with remote supervisors via text, email, and other methods of communication
· Skilled in problem solving and communication (verbal and written)
· Able to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with students, families and fellow IUPUI staff.