POSITION TITLE: Head Counselor at Woodbrook Elementary
DIVISION: Extended School Enrichment/Summer Camp Series
REPORTS TO: Site Supervisor
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt; Part-Time - $14.50 - $16.50
Purpose of Position:
The purpose of this position is to work in a leadership capacity at a site-specific level. This position will engage with children grades K-6, to work as part of a team whose purpose is to competently and enthusiastically create and facilitate enrichment activities, assist with K-6 student homework, and provide a safe, enriching, and character-driven environment for students enrolled in the Extended School Enrichment (ESE) program (school-year and summer).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Lead site-specific Extended School Enrichment part-time staff.
- Plan, create, organize, and facilitate a variety of daily enrichment and academic activities, including but not limited to arts, sports, science, homework, and literacy that corresponds to state standards using established templates and guidelines.
- With team, supervise up to 125+ children, from grades K – 6, throughout all aspects of the daily program.
- Follow program structure, including individual success plans, to decrease disruptive student behaviors and increase positivity and safety.
- Consistently model and guide students in character development through actions, activities, and dialogue.
- Implement and model respect for all spaces and materials used, ensuring they are well maintained and left as found, including buses and field trips.
- Communicate with parents/guardians or visitors; provide information and assistance and initiate the problem resolution.
- Assist with discipline cases involving program participants; reports case to supervisor as appropriate.
- Disseminate information about programs, special events, program fees and department policies and procedures to the public in a polite and effective manner.
- Responsible for input of student data and payments for Extended School Enrichment on a daily basis.
- Monitor inventory levels of ESE site-specific supplies; initiate orders for new or replacement materials.
- Keep files up to date and organized.
- Attend and participate in professional development meetings and trainings.
- Use excellent customer service skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and all members of the general public
- Enforce applicable rules and regulations with program participants.
- Ensure adherence to established safety procedures; monitor work environment and use of safety equipment to ensure safety of employees and other individuals.
- Responsible for leading and supervising site-specific before school program as needed.
- Provide CPR/first aid, as needed.
- Perform CPI, as needed.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment.
- Perform other related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required to Perform Essential Job Functions:
- Ability to utilize ActiveNet, EZChildTrack, or current software, for essential ESE functions.
- Basic typing, Internet, Word, and Excel skills.
- Reliable and organized; on time and accurate with paperwork and daily schedules.
- Capable of creatively problem-solving under pressure, both as part of a team and independently.
- Ability to utilize a variety of reference and descriptive data and information.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques utilized in planning, organizing, and implementing programs, events, and activities.
- Enthusiastic and flexible about both learning and teaching new skills.
- Able to act consistently as a role model and guide for behavior and character development.
- Ability to assist K-6 students accurately with daily homework, requiring understanding and instruction of math and literacy skills up to a 6th grade level.
- Interact and communicate in a positive, professional manner with team, students, and public.
- Ability to confidently and effectively manage student behavior in a positive, respectful manner at all times.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions during periods of high volume and under pressure from the public.
- Ability to maintain prompt and regular attendance.
- Ability to positively adhere to and enforce Carmel Clay Parks & Recreation policy and procedures; implement emergency plans.
- Ability to work within moderate to loud environments associated with child care.
- Ability to work in the outdoor environment, with exposure to weather, cold, heat, wind.
- Ability to provide first aid, CPR/AED, and CPI, in a calm, professional manner.
- Ability to exert moderate physical effort, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and that might involve the lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials weighing 10 pounds.
- Ability to review and evaluate data.
- Good knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies required for programs.
- Knowledge of leadership methods and techniques; ability to organize and lead part-time staff and contractual employees.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently without routine supervision.
- Ability to provide guidance, assistance, and interpretation regarding the application of procedures and standards to specific situations.
Qualifications Required to Perform Essential Job Functions:
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED.
- Must be First Aid and CPR/AED certified or be able to acquire certification within 30 days of orientation, and maintain certification.
- Must be CPI certified within 90 days of orientation, and maintain certification.
- Must obtain Stewards of Children certification within 6 months of orientation and maintain certification.
Must Complete Prior to Starting with Carmel Clay Parks & Recreation
- Must pass a background check that encompasses national, state and local searches.
- Must pass pre-employment drug test.
The Carmel Clay Board of Parks & Recreation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Board will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.