Study Abroad Outreach Ambassador
Study Abroad Outreach Ambassadors are a team of students working as study abroad champions for IUPUI! They promote study abroad to the IUPUI community, particularly within assigned academic/support areas on campus. Being a Study Abroad Outreach Ambassador is a professional development opportunity to enhance your understanding of intercultural learning and have an active role in internationalizing the IUPUI campus.
Ambassadors advance their professional, communication, and analytical skills as well as deepen their knowledge of international education in the context of their field of study.
Study Abroad Outreach Ambassadors will work primarily within an assigned grouping of campus schools/units, and should have experience in at least one area of their grouping. This position is a year-long commitment. Outreach Ambassadors will work an average of 10 hours per week. Ambassadors will attend training sessions in mid-August and early in the academic year, regular check-in meetings with the Assistant Director of Study Abroad, group meetings with the other Ambassadors, and other events.
· Design strategies to increase study abroad participation within assigned groupings.
· Hold information tables, sessions, and other promotional events targeted at students in assigned groupings.
· Use technology creatively to share information about study abroad.
· Assist study abroad program leaders with recruitment efforts within assigned academic groupings.
· Support Study Abroad Office at general study abroad events including fairs, Welcome Back Reception, classroom presentations, information tables, and information sessions.
· Assist in the development of new marketing materials to target students within assigned academic groupings.
· Communicator – Students will learn how to be better communicators by building relationships with peers and fellow students. Individuals in this position will improve their active listening skills by interacting with and assisting other students.
· Problem Solver – Students will collaborate with peers and professionals across campus to provide better learning opportunities for students. Students will gain analytical skills by evaluating current procedures and determining effectiveness through the use of data and research.
· Community Contributor – Students will gain knowledge about other cultures through interacting with members of the community. This position will provide students with skills to help communicate with others how our choices impact our community.
Qualifications and Skills
• Undergraduate or graduate student at IUPUI.
• Previous experience studying abroad.
• Ability to work efficiently and independently; strong self-motivation.
• Creative thinking skills.
• Excellent written, verbal, presentational, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Ability to interact with members of the campus community in a professional manner.
• Commitment to training and schedule requirements.
About the Office of International Affairs:
The Office of International Affairs (OIA) is a comprehensive office of international education and program development that stimulates, coordinates and serves as a focus for international activities on the IUPUI campus. We work with people and organizations on campus, in Indianapolis, and throughout the world to:
• Develop IUPUI students into global citizens.
• Facilitate international engagement and partnerships.
• Recruit and enroll international students.
• Provide transition support, expert advising and visa services for international students and scholars.
• Oversee IUPUI’s study abroad activities.
• Support international teaching and learning—for example, through use of the Global Crossroads videoconferencing lab.
• Increase cross-cultural understanding through events and programs, including the International House.