Program Educator- PT
Are you wild about animals and people alike? Do you enjoy educating others on the importance of conservation and the need to protect nature? If you answered yes to these questions, then look no further, your next opportunity is here! The Indianapolis Zoo is on the hunt for part-time (approximately 15 hours per week- year-round) Program Educators that strive to uphold our mission to protect nature and inspire people to care for our world.
This position will facilitate various pre-registered programs for the Education Department. This will include (but not be limited to): teaching Preschool, Zoo Overnights, School Workshops, Video Chats, Saturday Science, Dolphin In-water, Camps, and Animal Adventures throughout the year, and will assist with other conservation education initiatives and projects as assigned.
Ideal candidates are committed to advancing the Zoo’s mission to protect nature and inspire people to care for our world. This position will work closely with the Education Programs Manager and other Education team members to carry out functions of the Education department such as conducting research for existing or new programs, updating various databases, providing clerical assistance as needed, and assisting with customer service functions. This individual will partner with other Zoo departments (Animal Care, Guest Services, Security, Marketing, etc.) to maintain seamless delivery of all programs. Though this position works pre-dominantly indoors, there is some exposure to outdoor environmental conditions. Weekends and evening work is required, hours may increase due to season programming. The pay rate for this exciting opportunity is $11.00/ hr.
The successful candidate will possess:
- A minimum of two (2) years related work experience.
- A professional, positive, respectful, and enthusiastic attitude while interacting with guests, volunteers, and co-workers.
- Previous formal or informal educational institution experience required.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to work under pressure in a public setting.
- Excellent public speaking, communication, and writing skills.
- Working knowledge of teaching pedagogies and inquiry-based learning.
- Experience in designing and conducting educational programs.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Proficiency with computer software programs including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Suite, SharePoint software and web-based meeting platforms.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Education, Environmental Science, Biology, or a related field is required.
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of pre-employment testing including a criminal history and driving record check, and a drug test. The Indianapolis Zoo is requiring all Zoo employees and volunteers to be Covid-19 vaccinated unless individuals require a medical or religious belief accommodation.
- Interested candidates must complete an online Zoo application by the August 10, 2021 application deadline.
- Attach a resumé and cover letter to the application.
- Include your desired compensation requirements.
The Indianapolis Zoo is proud to be a Drug-Free/ Smoke-Free/ Child Safe/ Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) Work Environment.