Ambassador for Institute for Engaged Learning (IEL)
Overview of department:
Engaged learning is a type of experience that offers students a hands-on opportunity to apply their skills and knowledge while also reflecting on their involvement. Engaged learning can be part of a course or take place outside of class. Examples can include internships (both on and off campus), study abroad, service learning and civic engagement, undergraduate research programs, and campus leadership opportunities, like peer mentoring. If you have experience in one of these areas and want to share it with other students, then we want to work with you!
The Institute for Engaged Learning is seeking students from diverse backgrounds across all schools, and with varied experiences on campus and in the community. We want to capitalize on the strengths and interests that you bring to the position to achieve a mutually beneficial work experience for both you and the Institute.
The Institute for Engaged Learning is searching for enthusiastic applicants to assist in our mission to increase equitable access of engaged learning opportunities for every IUPUI student. As a part of this mission, IEL employs a diverse group of student Ambassadors to serve as a first point-of-contact for other students seeking information on why and how to get involved in engaged learning.
Specific tasks that the community engagement associate will complete:
Duties of the position typically include the following:
- Promotion of engaged learning programs and opportunities to other students by providing information at events and conducting class presentations.
- Support of the Institute staff in the development of student-centered engaged learning opportunities, such as information sessions and networking events.
- Involvement in the Institute’s marketing and communications efforts to reach a broader audience through inclusive messaging.
- One-on-one consultation with students seeking information about engaged learning opportunities.
- Management of communication channels and data to provide interested students with opportunities and connections.
- The opportunity to focus on a particular area of engaged learning, such as civic engagement, undergraduate research, first year experience or internships.
- Other duties, including areas in which Ambassadors desire to gain professional experience, such as assisting staff with tasks and projects related to programs within units and centers that are part of the Institute.
- Provide general administrative support for the Institute and its staff, including answering the main phone line, greet and assist visiting students, staff and faculty; and monitoring group email accounts, and triage email communication to appropriate team members, campus offices, and other resources as needed.
Specific qualifications (knowledge, skills, class standing, etc) we desire the project coordinator to have:
- Strong interpersonal skills to excel in working with diverse groups or individuals
- A commitment to work with a lens of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Belonging and Anti-racism, a guiding framework and set of values through which IEL designs and implements programming
- Basic comfort level and/or willingness to learn computer skills, such as Internet/social media, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office Suite, Canvas, Adobe, online project management tools
- Ability to take initiative and work on tasks independently
- Solid research, writing, and presentation skills
- Ability to analyze and incorporate feedback
- Ability to balance fun and professionalism
By the end of this position assignment, the student will meet the following learning objectives
- Values collaborating with others, especially those individuals representing diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions, lifestyles, and viewpoints.
- Demonstrates empathy, openness, inclusiveness, and sensitivity when working with diverse others.
- Analyzes diverse perspectives and evaluates how these perspectives influence their own norms and biases.
- Feels a sense of responsibility and commitment to use the knowledge gained in their higher education experiences to serve others.
- Submit your resume to Handshake by 8 AM on August 28, 2021 to be considered.