Civic Engagement Assistant
Position Title: Civic Engagement Assistant
Organization: Division of Student Affairs
Department/Office: Campus Center and Student Experiences
Hourly Wage: $10.15
Average Hours/Week: 10-15, additional hours scheduled as needed
Supervisor: Associate Director, Campus Center & Student Experiences
The Civic Engagement Assistant is responsible for supporting, sustaining, and implementing programs for civic engagement for the IUPUI community; examples include: education, voter registration drives, and interactive programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The below breakdown of essential duties and responsibilities of the Operations Team Member also include applicable Principles of Undergraduate Learning for each duty/responsibility set. Specific outcomes relevant for each principle are included in the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Gained section.
· Staffing information tables around campus to spread the work about voter registration, voting rights, and voting responsibilities (e.g., polling locations)
· Outreach to faculty, housing, and student organizations for presentation opportunities regarding voting and advocacy
· Collaborating with local government and advocacy organizations to engage IUPUI students in political place-making events and programs
· Respond to email in a timely and professional manner
· Other duties assigned as necessary
Education and Experience:
· Candidates must have at least a 2.0 cumulative IUPUI GPA, or a first semester, first-year student, and be in judicial good standing at the time of application
· Undergraduate candidates and staff members must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours, and graduate candidates and staff members must be enrolled in at least 3 credit hours.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Basic knowledge of civic issues and processes
· Ability to exhibit a non-partisan view about others’ political engagement and be understanding of different experiences and cultures
· Ability to make independent decisions to guide projects to completion
· Ability to identify program areas to be assessed
· Skill in communicating information to diverse constituents using an educational approach
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Gained in this Role:
As a result of employment, the team member will be able to demonstrate each of the IUPUI Profiles of Learning for Undergraduate Success (IUPUI+). Below are specific sample learning outcomes based on the IUPUI+.
· Developing written, oral, and visual deliverables and presentations
· Conduct research on political events happening around the Indianapolis area and utilizing data to inform recommendations for future programs
· Brainstorm events and activities individually and with the Civic Engagement team
· Providing educational, inclusive civic engagement events to the IUPUI community by remaining nonpartisan