Upward College Program Tutor/Mentor
Federal Work-Study Eligible Students!
General Purpose of Position:
The Burmese American Community Institute (BACI) is a dynamic, forward-looking, and growing organization. We seek well-qualified, highly motivated, creative, and solution-oriented candidates to join our team as tutors at The Upward College Program (UCP). In response to the growing needs of the community, since 2011, BACI has implemented the year-round Upward College Program for the area high school students to prepare them for college access and success. In order to achieve this goal, the UCP provides tutoring, standardized test preparation, and assistance with college, scholarship, and financial aid applications for high school juniors and seniors from Burma for six to ten hours a week.
UCP tutors will provide personalized assistance and tutoring to UCP students in various subject areas and will promote BACI’s mission of enhancing educational opportunities for the Burmese community. The position will also assist UCP staff with other Program objectives related to college preparedness, such as SAT and other standardized test prep courses and helping students apply for college.
Tutors will attend UCP after school sessions from 3-6:30 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays at Southport High School and Perry Meridian High School, as well as may be asked to provide additional tutoring hours as needed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Provide tutoring and instruction services for High School juniors or seniors from Burma at BACI Upward College Program in math, science, English, social science, and other courses.
• Cooperate with UCP staff in order to provide students with personalized assistance with homework assignments.
• Assist senior students with filling college/scholarship applications, ensure students have submitted all required application materials, and revise application essays as.
• Aid program staff with coordination of other UCP programming as needed, such SAT and other standardized test prep courses for junior students, STEM training, and leadership courses.
• Attend UCP staff training and meetings in order to ensure all staff adhere to instruction standards.
• Must be comfortable tutoring math, science, social science, and English courses. (Proficiency in additional subject areas is a benefit).
• Demonstrates appropriate behavior at all times.
• Is patient, enthusiastic, self-controlled and dependable.
• Has the ability to work well with others and follow directions.
• Previous work experience and interest in teaching, tutoring, youth development, refugee resettlement or other direct social services preferred.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and growth-oriented environment, while maintaining a sense of humor and a positive, solution-oriented approach.
• International experience desirable – high degree of cultural sensitivity and competence is required.
• Strong communication skills.
• Reliable transportation.
• Pass the Background Check.
IUPUI Profiles of Undergraduate Success Learning Outcomes Gained:
Communicator The ability to evaluate information, be an active listener, build relationships, and convey ideas effectively.
Community Contributor The ability to show respect and engage with own and other cultural backgrounds, behave ethically and protect confidential/sensitive information at all times, and help to build a community between the faculty and students.
This position is limited to candidates with a Federal Work-Study award. To verify you have a Federal Work-Study award, please go to your One.IU.edu Account -Student Center- Financials- Financial Aid Summary. If you have an award, it will be listed with the rest of your financial aid (loans, grants, scholarships, etc.). You may also email the Office of Student Financial Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about eligibility.