Operating Room Technician
- This position is part time 48 hours per pay period; 0715-154 with call and rotations.
- This position is located at Mercy Walworth Hospital.
- Ask us about your sign on bonus eligibility!
Experience a rewarding and fulfilling career with Mercyhealth. Mercyhealth is committed to offering our partners a best place to work. Our unique workplace Culture of Excellence is built upon:
- Employee engagement, empowerment and growth
- Teamwork toward our common goal – providing exceptional health care services with a passion for making lives better
- An atmosphere of caring and quality that cascades throughout the organization
Essential duties and Responsibilities
- Handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure. Has an understanding of the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon. Has the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure and is constantly on vigil for maintenance of the sterile field.
- Assists the surgical team before, during, and after surgery by performing the following duties:
- Checks instruments, supplies, and equipment needed for surgical procedures.
- Scrubs, gowns, gloves, and sets up sterile table with instruments and supplies, equipment and medications/solutions needed for each procedure
- Assists with patient placement and positioning on the table. Assists in draping sterile field according to procedure/physician preference.
- Performs appropriate counts for sponges, needles, and instruments with circulator according to policy prior to the operation and before incision is closed.
- Gowns and gloves surgeon and assistants. Creates and maintains sterile field. Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during procedure.
- Passes instruments, etc. to surgeon during procedure. May sponge operative site, hold retractors during surgery, cut suture and cauterize previously clamped vessels as directed by surgeon. Prepares sterile dressings.
- Assists other members of team with cleaning the operating room after each procedure. Assists in prepping room for the next patient.
- Participates in department performance improvement activities.
- Assists in training new personnel.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
- Graduate of an CAAHEP-accredited Surgical Technology program required OR program currently participating in accreditation process
- LPN grandfathered (3) at Rockford campus. (check w/ comp team how to word)
- Certified Surgical Technologist through NBSTSA preferred
- If program is currently participating in accreditation process, Certified Surgical Technologist through NBSTSA required.
- Approved CPR or BLS certification required within 90 days (other certifications per unit requirements: ACLS, PALS, PEARS, NRP)
Special Physical Demands
- The Special Physical Demands are considered Essential Job Functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; stoop, kneel, crouch, or smell. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- OR Tech, OR, PACU, TCC,
EOE&AA/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Mercy is an equal employment opportunity employer functioning under Affirmative Action Plans.