Student Administrative Assistant
IUPUI Student Job Description
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine (https://medicine.iu.edu/internal-medicine/specialties/endocrinology)
JOB TITLE: Administrative Assistant
ORGANIZATION NAME: IUPUI – Endocrinology
# of OPENINGS: 1
WORK SCHEDULE (AVERAGE HOURS/WEEK): 10-15
WAGE/SALARY (HOURLY WAGE): $11
This position will provide clerical support to the Fellowship Coordinator and Senior Business Manager of an academic medicine program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (assign % of time spent in each area = total 100%)
40% Assist in scheduling physician consults and learners in clinics (maintaining calendar), updating physician schedule and volunteer physician schedule with Eskenazi
20% Process miscellaneous financial documents, including Salary Transfers and General Accounting Adjustments, as well as reconcile procurement card statements monthly, and process study participant payments.
10% Maintain conference entry in online system, keep track of learners for online system
10% Process employee reimbursements, including travel
10% Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
5% Assist in managing weekly Bone Conference, including distribution of flyer via email
5% Answer main office phone, sort mail, assist with faxing
Tools and Equipment Used
Computer, copy/fax/scanning machine, telephone
Skills/Experience Gained in this Role (related toward student’s career/academic progress or major, and Principles of Undergraduate Learning)
· Core Communication and Quantitative Skills – Student will gain skills in communication working with an interdisciplinary team of physicians, fellows, and professional staff.
· Critical Thinking and Self Directedness– Student will work independently in office setting; provide input on office processes; interface with individuals from a variety of educational backgrounds in a fast-paced office environment. Student will need to accurately organize multiple calendars and communicate appropriately with multiple different groups.
· Consumer Centered and Good at Teamwork. Student will work with interdisciplinary team to meet the needs of physicians, learners, and staff, and work with accountability for own assignments, and reach out to the team when needing assistance or support.
· Understanding Society and Culture – Student will gain cultural awareness and understanding by working with a diverse group of professionals and clients. Student will increase understanding of the academic medical field.
· Values and Ethics – Student will maintain an utmost level of confidentiality for all records and information in accordance with HIPAA.
Education and Experience
Specialized coursework in general office practices such as typing and filing, and prior successful work experience under minimal supervision.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Working knowledge of computers (including Microsoft Outlook) and office equipment.
· Working knowledge, or interest and ability to expand knowledge, of higher education in a medical setting
· Ability to communicate with staff members from a variety of backgrounds in a professional manner.
· Ability to perform duties under minimal supervision and manage multiple tasks with competing deadlines.
· Ability to follow instructions, accurately file paperwork and manage multiple different tasks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is required to walk; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is performed primarily in an office setting. The noise level in the work environment is low to moderate.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
FOR INTERNAL USE:
Lane Cheslyn, Senior Business Manager