Peer Consultant - Hire Achievers
Position Title: Peer Consultant – Hire Achievers
Department/Office: Pre-Professional and Career Preparation Office (PREPs)
Hourly Wage: $11.00
Average Hours/Week: Maximum of 15 hours per week; Average of 10 hours per week
Duration: Fall 2021 – Spring 2022
This position is offered as a part of the Hire Achievers Program and aims to connect IUPUI undergraduate freshman and sophomores, with positions on-campus with faculty and staff in a variety of campus areas/programs. Positions start in August and end in May. Students in this program will be expected to participate in a variety of professional development learning modules in an online format throughout the year. Students who complete the entire year of the program and all of the learning modules will receive a certificate of completion and will be able to indicate their Hire Achievers experience on their IUPUI Experiential and Applied Learning Record.
Peer Consultant – Pre-Professional & Career Preparation office with School of Science
The Pre-Professional & Career Preparation for Science Students (PREPs) office provides comprehensive career and pre-professional services to help science students navigate their professional journey. PREPs offers advising, programming, and resources to help students develop skills and meaningful connections to achieve post-graduation goals.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as a Peer Consultant (PC) representing the Pre-Professional & Career Preparation for Science Students (PREPs) office during tabling, campus events, promotional events, etc.
- Support general office functioning by helping with student appointment check-in, answering phones, and assisting with daily tasks as needed.
- Educate students on resources and services for professional school preparation, resumes, cover letters, and job search during events, tabling, walk-in hours and other programs.
- Assist in development and management of social media plans via utilize Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc. to promote science related opportunities, PREPs events, programming, and services
- Create and post announcements, job and professional school advertisements in physical locations and/or electronically
- Conduct presentations for student groups/organizations and classrooms advertising PREPs services and upcoming events.
- Extensive use of Microsoft Office software and opportunity to utilize publishing/editing software for creating marketing materials
- Attend bi-weekly PC meetings and individual development meetings scheduled with supervisor
- Other tasks and assignments as needed or designated by supervisor and/or staff
- PCs will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects. Projects may be a direct request from a PREPs staff member or may be an approved idea of your own.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities gained in this role
Peer Consultants will receive training and support regarding all aspects of job responsibilities from the PC supervisor and Lead PC. The PREPs office is dedicated to student learning, growth, and professional development. Students in this role will gain the following knowledge, skills, and abilities in alignment with the Profiles of Learning for Undergraduate Success (PLUS).
Profile 1: Communicator
- Listen actively when assisting students in scheduling advising appointments that best serve their career and pre-professional needs
- Build relationships with PREPs professional staff and other student staff by collaborating on projects ranging from marketing plans to updating office career/pre-professional resources
- Convey ideas effectively in writing by updating and creating marketing materials that resonate with student. Convey ideas orally by educating students, staff, and faculty regarding PREPs services during tabling and presentations (classroom, orientation, event, etc).
Profile 2: Problem Solver
- Collaborate with fellow PCs and professional staff in regards to ongoing projects and in the successful implementation of PREPs-sponsored fairs and events.
- Persevere in regards to office projects that require research, communication with third parties, and the potential to learn a new software or skill.
Profile 3: Innovator
- Investigate and research materials and information related to an area of interest within PREPs in order to better inform marketing materials, social media, and the creation of students resources. Potential areas include: resumes/cover letters, job search, networking, professional school planning, and more.
- Create/design physical materials that speak to the student population as well as the opportunity to offer new, innovative ideas that may transform current PREPs processes. The PREPs office will encourage ideas that seek to improve student engagement and services.
- Make decisions regarding student engagement plans related to social media, tabling, and presentations. Opportunity to develop strategic plans with ongoing feedback and support.
Profile 4: Community Contributor
- Respectfully engage own and other cultures by communicating professionally and respectfully to the diverse student population that utilizes PREPs services.
- Behaves ethically by maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of students served by the PREPs office for their pre-professional, career, and/or academic needs.
- Currently enrolled IUPUI student; GPA of 3.0 or higher, preferred
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, outlook, and PowerPoint) as well as have the ability to adapt to new technologies
- Ability to work both independently and on a team
- Ability to communicate to students, staff, and faculty in a professional manner
- Ability to take initiative with tasks and projects
- Knowledgeable about PREPs office and services
- Customer service experience
- Cover Letter; cover letters MUST include days and hours of availability
- Financial Aid Notification (FAN) letter to illustrate work study eligibility. Learn how to find this: https://employment.iupui.edu/jobs-internships/prepare-to-search/index.html