Paper and Photograph Conservation Pre-Program Internship
Strange Stock Art Conservation is offering a pre-program internship. The conservation studio is located in Covington, Kentucky and provides conservation and preservation services for works on paper and photographic materials to serve a client base of institutions and individuals. The intern will work on specific projects related to photographic materials, but may also have the opportunity to learn about works on paper and support the operations of a busy practice by training for skills related to: artwork handling, examination, research, photo-documentation, condition reporting, proposal creation and archival rehousing. General studio upkeep includes cleaning/maintenance, administrative tasks and supply orders.
Education and Experience:
• Currently enrolled college Junior or Senior, or recent graduate in one or more of the following
areas: Studio Art, Art History, Library Science, Chemistry, Museum Studies, Art Conservation or related field.
• 6 months experience handling works of art and/or historic artifacts within a museum environment,
educational setting or private business.
• Experience with analog photographic materials.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Extremely detail oriented.
• Patient, willingness to learn.
• Excellent hand skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a small team.
• Interested in creative problem solving and troubleshooting.
• Clear, legible handwriting.
• Well organized to maintain protocols for written reports, photo-documentation, project time
management and studio upkeep.
• Understanding of artist materials and mediums, especially related to photography.
• Ability to follow photo-documentation workflow.
• Ability to follow MSDS for chemistry and safety procedures in studio.
• Proficiency using Microsoft OS, Word/Excel, Google Docs and Adobe. Understanding of use with
Affinity, Zoom and social media platforms also preferred.
The internship is P/T (1 - 2 days/week) at $12/hr. The opportunity will be offered for a mutually agreeable time period based on project needs. Interested and qualified individuals may send application materials (resume, letter of interest and contacts for at least two professional references) in PDF form by August 6, 2021 to Laura Moeller at firstname.lastname@example.org