Position Title: Circulation Assistant
Department/Office: Ruth Lilly Law Library
Hourly Wage: $10.15
Number of openings: 3
Average Hours/Week: 8-15 hours per week, depending on availability
Reports to: Circulation Manager
General Purpose: The Circulation Assistant position is an opportunity for a current IUPUI student to represent the Ruth Lilly Law Library. As part of the circulation department, the Circulation Assistant will primarily be responsible for staffing the front desk and assisting patrons. The circulation department and its employees serve as the face of the library and handle many kinds of requests and questions from students, staff, faculty, and members of the public. The library is open every day of the week, so the Circulation Assistant is important for our staffing needs on nights and weekends. This position requires weekend availability. This position begins right before Fall semester starts and will include the entire school year.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Broken down by percentage of time spent
80% - monitoring the front desk and maintaining the circulation email, checking materials out to patrons, answering the phone, discharging returned materials, assisting with reserves materials. Assisting patrons with questions. Opening/closing the library if that is your assigned shift.
10% - shelving items and stacks maintenance
10% - other duties and special projects as assigned
Desired Minimum Qualifications:
Requires weekly availability in 4-6 hour shifts. Weekend availability required.
Education and Experience:
Enrollment as a student at IUPUI
Work study preferred, but not required. If you have a work study award, please include that information with your application.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Demonstrated skill in communicating individually and in groups
· Comfortable answering in person and over the phone questions and requests
· Ability to learn new technology
· Ability to work effectively with diverse populations
· Ability to positively represent the Ruth Lilly Law Library and McKinney School of Law
· Experience with standard office equipment
In accordance with the IUPUI Profiles of Learning for Undergraduate Success, experience in this position will help students become acquainted with the following profiles:
· Communicator – The ability to listen, write, and speak effectively. The ability to assess a situation, seek multiple perspectives, gather more information if necessary
· Problem Solver – The ability to manage multiple assignments and tasks, set priorities, and adapt to changing to conditions and work assignments.