Communications Intern - On-Campus Internship Program
Position Title: Communications Intern – On-Campus Internship Program
Organization: Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI)
Department/Office: Office of Student Employment
Hourly Wage: $11.00
Number of openings: 1
Average Hours/Week: 12-15 hours per week
Reports to: Assistant Director
Who we are: The vision of the Office of Student Employment is to become a nationally recognized leader in the innovation and promotion of student employment best practices and services. Our mission is to support the Division of Undergraduate Education by empowering students to pursue and to succeed in meaningful, academically relevant college work experiences that enhance both academic and professional growth.
Every day we work hard to increase the number of students working on campus, promote awareness of collegiate work opportunities, enhance student professional development and job preparedness, increase the quality of student employment supervision, and foster integration of student learning through engaging and academically relevant work experiences.
General Purpose: The Communications Intern is an opportunity for a current IUPUI student to represent the Office of Student Employment and promote the services, programs, and events hosted by the office. The focus of this position is to provide communication support to OSE through website editing, supporting the creation of newsletters and mass communication with students, print media, Qualtrics, featured students and agencies and collaboration on process docs and job aids. This student will also provide and coordinate process for online reviews . There is the potential for this position to take on special projects throughout the year.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Broken down by percentage (percentages subject to change throughout the year)
· 30% - editing and creating website content and writing featured student and agency showcases for the website and other marketing purposes
· 30% - creating print media and job aids for Office of Student Employment events, programs, and functions which could include:
o Training materials and content
o Marketing materials
o Tip sheets
· 15% – writing and organizing newsletters and mass communication to students
· 15% - oversee and coordinate the process for reveiwing online student-submitted resume and cover letter drafts and providing detailed and tailored feedback in a timely and professional manner
· 10% - Cross-collaborate with student employment staff and ambassadors to satisfy position requirements when necessary and participate in weekly staff meetings and work groups.
On-Campus Internship Program Summary: This internship is offered as a part of the On-campus Internship Program and aims to connect IUPUI undergraduate freshman, sophomores, and juniors with internships on-campus with faculty and staff in a variety of campus areas/programs. Internships start in August and end in May. Interns will be required to obtain at least one academic credit in the academic year while participating in their internship experience and will have a site visit from the Office of Student Employment during their experience. On-going coaching and feedback on performance will be provided by internship supervisors according to a strict timeline of the program. Specific internship projects and duties will vary by internship. Students in this program will be required to participate in a public showcase of learning at the end of year to outline their experience as a part of Engaged Learning Week, and will participate in additional development throughout the year. After completing the program, their On-Campus Internship experience will be added to their IUPUI Experiential and Applied Learning Record.
Desired Minimum Qualifications:
Education and Experience:
· Enrolled as a student at IUPUI
· Must be a sophomore or junior by academic standing
· Experience tailoring communication to different groups and audiences preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Strong written communication skills.
· Strong time-management skills
· Basic understanding of Office of Student Employment services, student employment opportunities on campus, and benefits of working through college
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
· Comfortable with frequent communication regarding project participation and progress
· Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
· Ability to professionally communicate student perspectives to staff and administrators.
· Ability to learn new technology in support of events, marketing tactics, and office support.
· Ability to positively represent IUPUI and the Office of Student Employment
In accordance with the IUPUI Profiles of Learning for Undergraduate Success, experience in this position will help students become acquainted with the following profiles:
• Communicator – The ability to listen, write, and speak effectively. Students will gain the ability to assess a situation, seek multiple perspectives, gather more information if necessary, and identify key issues that need to be addressed. Students will also learn how to more effectively collaborate with others on projects, and how to provide mentorship to peers. Additionally, student will learn more about tailoring communications to different audiences through different mediums.
• Innovator – The ability to design, plan, organize, and implement projects and tasks within a specific timeframe. Students in this position will be encouraged to make decisions and contribute their ideas in work groups.
• Problem Solver –The ability to manage multiple assignments and tasks, set priorities, and adapt to changing conditions and work assignments. Students will gain the ability to find/create solutions to problems using creativity, reasoning, past experiences, and available information and resources.
• Community contributor – The ability to demonstrate a sensitivity and awareness to other people and cultures. Students will learn how to relate to co-workers, and inspire others to participate. Additionally, they will also gain the ability to maintain a productive climate and confidently motivate, mobilize, or coach other employees/students.