Dean's Office Clerical Assistant
General Purpose: The clerical assistant position is an opportunity for a current IUPUI student to learn valuable clerical and office skills while assisting members of the Dean’s Office with tasks throughout the academic year. The clerical assistant will primarily assist the office with clerical work including but not limited to typing, filing, copying, office mailings, gathering and distributing daily mail, deliveries around campus, covering front desk in Assistant to the Dean’s absence, and other administrative tasks and special projects as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (percentage breakdown)
40% - Answer phone, greet and assist visitors
30% - Conduct general administrative support duties
15% - Office mailings, gathering & delivering daily mail
10% - Assist with event planning
5% - Other duties / special projects as assigned
Desired Minimum Qualifications:
· This position will begin in August and end in May
· Requires weekly availability, will set hours upon hiring with some flexibility
· Hours are Monday through Friday (with one day off) during normal business hours with some opportunity for assisting at special events within the School of Science on weekends and evenings.
Education and Experience:
· Enrolled as a student at IUPUI
· Confidentiality A MUST!
· Candidates with experience using Microsoft Office Programs are encouraged to apply.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Demonstrated skill in communicating individually and in small group formats, reporting to team members
· Ability to communicate, listen and follow specific instructions, asking questions as needed
· Ability to use and knowledge of basic PC programs
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
· Ability and willingness to learn new programs as needed
· Comfortable answering the phone and returning phone calls when necessary
· Possess or ability and willingness to learn time management skills
· Ability to work autonomous when needed
· Ability to work effectively with diverse populations
· Ability to professionally communicate student perspectives to staff and administrators
· Ability to learn new technology
· Ability to positively represent IUPUI and the School of Science Dean’s Office
Students in this position will become acquainted with the following profiles:
Communicator – Student will learn how to be better communicators by building relationships with employer and visitors. Individuals in this position will improve their active listening skills by interacting with and assisting others.
Problem solver – Students will gain the ability to manage multiple assignments and tasks, set priorities, and adapt to changing conditions and work assignments.