The Metadata Assistant is responsible for supporting the creation and/or enhancement of content for the University Library’s digital collections as well as assisting with ongoing open knowledge efforts. The successful candidate will participate in a variety of tasks, including creating basic metadata for digitized material and helping to improve the presence of IUPUI faculty and their research in Wikidata.
University Library strongly encourages applications from first-generation students, Black students and students of color, LGBTQ+ students, students with disabilities, and students who are members of other marginalized communities.
Candidates for this position must be interested in working in an academic community that is diverse with regard to gender, race, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation or identity, gender identity, disability status, and protected veteran status.
15 - 20 hours per week. Schedule is flexible within normal business hours: M-F 8:00am - 5:00pm.
In cases where accommodations might be needed for this work, University Library works with IUPUI’s Office of Equal Opportunity to provide personnel with appropriate assistance.
- Complete required training program
- Support open knowledge projects
- Create and/or enhance descriptive metadata for the library’s digital collections
- Work on various content management systems
- Work with controlled vocabularies to support metadata creation and/or enhancement
- Assist with data clean-up
- Participate in on-going training and professional development
- Participate in on-going performance review and self-evaluation
- IUPUI student
- Ability to focus on detail-oriented tasks for several consecutive hours
- Ability to work well independently, as well as in a team environment
- Able to communicate effectively with peers and supervisors
- Interest in linked open data, in particular, Wikidata
In this position you will develop and demonstrate your skills as a(n):
The Metadata Assistant will work in a highly collaborative environment as part of a small team with librarians and staff.
IUPUI University Library is widely recognized for its open knowledge work. The Metadata Assistant will work as part of a small team in this cutting-edge area of librarianship.
The Metadata Assistant will help make the research of IUPUI authors and the library’s unique digital collections discoverable and accessible to users around the world.
As a result of working at University Library, all student employees will be able to:
- Demonstrate professionalism in their work
- Communicate effectively with colleagues and library users
- Identify, locate, evaluate, and responsibly use information