IUPUI University Library Center for Digital Scholarship is seeking an undergraduate or graduate student to assist with the IUPUI Open Access policy workflow. The successful candidate will participate in the full range of processes related to the workflow, including identifying eligible articles, determining usage rights, creating metadata, and archiving documents.
University Library strongly encourages applications from first-generation students, Black students and students of color, LGBTQ+ students, students with disabilities, and students who are members of other marginalized communities.
Candidates for this position must be interested in working in an academic community that is diverse with regard to gender, race, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation or identity, gender identity, disability status, and protected veteran status.
15-20 hours per week. Schedule is flexible within normal business hours: M-F 8:00am - 5:00pm.
In cases where accommodations might be needed for this work, University Library works with IUPUI’s Office of Equal Opportunity to provide personnel with appropriate assistance.
- Complete required training program.
- Create basic metadata and upload items to IUPUI ScholarWorks.
- Contribute to a shared and logged task list.
- Participate in on-going training and professional development.
- Participate in on-going performance review and self-evaluation.
- IUPUI Student
- A keen attention to detail
- Professional correspondence skills
- Ability to read, interpret, and make decisions based on copyright guidelines provided
- Ability to work within deadlines
- Interest in science, scholarly publishing, open access, digital libraries, and/or institutional repositories
- Basic metadata creation experience
In this position you will develop and demonstrate your skills as a(n):
The ScholarWorks Student assistant will communicate with IUPUI library staff about problems to solve and progress on the work.
The ScholarWorks student assistant will occasionally have to identify the eligibility of articles and determine the usage rights that dictate how those articles can be shared in the institutional repository.
IUPUI is a national leader in making its research openly accessible to the rest of the world and the IUPUI Open Access Policy is a big part of that work. The ScholarWorks Student assistant will work as part of a small team in this cutting-edge area of librarianship.
Global open access to research is vital to the advancement of science and addressing the complex problems of today, such as global pandemics and climate change. The ScholarWorks Student Assistant will help make the research of IUPUI authors accessible to researchers and the general public in our community and beyond.
As a result of working at University Library, all student employees will be able to:
- Demonstrate professionalism in their work.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues and library users.
- Identify, locate, evaluate, and responsibly use information.