Federal Work-Study Support Ambassador - Hire Achievers
Position Title: Federal Work-Study (FWS) Support Ambassador
Organization: Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI)
Department/Office: Office of Student Employment
Hourly Wage: $10.15/hr.
Average Hours/Week: up to 15 hours per week
Number of Openings: 1
Reports to: Student Employment Consultant who oversees the Work-Study program at IUPUI and IUPUC and the Community Work-Study Coordinator.
The work-study support ambassador position is an opportunity for current IUPUI students to represent the Office of Student Employment and promoting the work-study hiring process. The work-study support assistant will primarily provide support answers to work-study-related questions and administrative support. Overall, the work-study support assistant brings the student perspective to the department and conducts work-study outreach to the IUPUI student population and campus community. Successful candidates may have the opportunity to move into different roles throughout the office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Broken down by hours/week
• 5 hours- answering student emails via the work-study email account, assisting with sorting students in database systems like Simplicity, communicates with IUPUI and IUPUC students, process work-study authorization forms and distribute to students and supervisors via email, and assist with planning for National Student Employee Appreciation Week.
•2-3 hours – support work-study to complete projects and tasks to related to:
o Workshop series
o Annual events
o Orientation Resource Fairs
o Other ongoing departmental events as needed
• 1-2 hours- Cross-collaborate with student employment staff and ambassadors to satisfy position requirements when necessary and participate in weekly staff meetings and workgroups.
• 1-2 hours-Other duties and special projects
Desired Minimum Qualifications:
•This position will begin in May and require summer availability
•Requires availability from 1:00-3:00 PM Tuesday, Wednesday AND/OR Thursday weekly
Education and Experience:
• Enrollment as a student at IUPUI
•Student must be a Freshman or Sophomore by academic standing.
•Students who have experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Google docs programs is required.
This position is limited to candidates with a Federal Work-Study Program award. To verify you have a work-study award, please go to your One.IU.edu account (look under Student Center and Financial Aid Summary). If you have an award, it is listed with the rest of your financial aid. (e.g., loans, grants, scholarships).
· Summer 2021/Fall/Spring AY 2021-2022 work-study eligibility
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Gained in this Role:
•Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
•Ability to work effectively with the work-study partners.
•Ability to professionally communicate student perspectives to staff and administrators concerning work-study.
•Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
•Ability to positively represent IUPUI and the Office of Student Employment.
In accordance with the IUPUI Profiles of Learning for Undergraduate Success, experience in this position will help students become acquainted with the following profiles:
· Communicator – The ability to listen, write, and speak effectively. The ability to assess a situation, seek multiple perspectives, gather more information if necessary, and identify key issues that need to be addressed.
· Problem Solver- The ability to manage multiple assignments and tasks, set priorities, and adapt to changing conditions and work assignments. The ability to find/create solutions to problems using creativity, reasoning, past experiences, and available information and resources.
· Community contributor- The ability to demonstrate sensitivity and awareness to other people and cultures. The ability to relate to co-workers, and inspire others to participate. The ability to maintain a productive climate and confidently motivate, mobilize, or coach other employees/students.
Hire Achievers Program Summary: This position is offered as a part of the Hire Achievers Program and aims to connect IUPUI undergraduate freshmen and sophomores, with positions on-campus with faculty and staff in a variety of campus areas/programs. Positions start in August and end in May. Students in this program will be expected to participate in a variety of professional development learning modules in an online format throughout the year. Students who complete the entire year of the program and all of the learning modules will receive a certificate of completion and will be able to indicate their Hire Achievers experience on their IUPUI Experiential and Applied Learning Record.