Stem Cell Lab Assistant
One of the first human genetics departments in the country, the Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics at IU School of Medicine has a rich history of training geneticists and genetic counselors and providing genetic consultation and counseling services. The department contributes to the understanding of numerous genetic conditions through the integration of basic research in genetic and genomic mechanisms, translational research in disease models, and clinical trials in rare and common genetic diseases.
Part-time Stem Cell Lab Assistant responsibilities include:
· Assist the lab with data entry into in laboratory information management system (LIMS)
· Track supplies and assist in managing inventory
· Assist with lab image processing as needed
· Perform tasks in the cell culture hood using proper sterile technique
· Miscellaneous lab duties including, but not limited to: deep cleaning incubators and cell culture hoods, filling dewar with liquid nitrogen, autoclaving, restocking supplies, etc
Attention to detail and well organized
Must be reliable and communicate schedule changes in advance
Ability to receive instruction and work independently
Excellent work ethic and initiative
Must have basic computer skills; prefer experience using databases
Through their work in this position, students will become acquainted with the following profiles:
Communicator- Student will learn how to be a better communicator. They will have the opportunity to improve their active listening skills by interacting and assisting the staff in the day to day operations of a stem cell laboratory, as well as learn some of the science behind the assays run in the lab.
Innovator- Student will learn how to use a laboratory information management system (LIMS) system as well as image processing software. Student will have the opportunity to help organize and manage data acquisition in the lab.