Strategic Communications Intern
Global G.L.O.W. is a 501(c)(3) organization that creates and operates innovative programs to mentor girls to advocate for themselves and make their communities stronger. We operate in vulnerable communities across 23 countries, including the United States. We partner with mission-aligned schools, community centers and NGOs that work directly with girls through out-of-school programming to address the most critical barriers affecting girls globally across the impact areas of self-advocacy, well-being, educational engagement, economic opportunity and community impact. To learn more about our work, please visit us at www.globalgirlsglow.org.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting virtually to the Director of Strategic Partnerships, the Strategic Communications Intern will primarily support Global G.L.O.W.’s externally facing communications and development efforts whilst also assisting the program team with key organizational projects. Communicating the work we do with girls externally makes it possible for us to continue doing the important work we do. We are looking for someone who is passionate about Global G.L.O.W.’s work and who will be dedicated to making sure girls lead in the advocacy space.
- Research current ways girl’s voices are effectively promoted today and relevant trends for effectively promoting youth voice in all ways, to inform
- Develop and implement a system for organizing photo and video assets in our shared drives for future access
- Working with the Communications Advisor and utilizing the Communications Calendar, assist with social media content ideation and creation including; Instagram Reels and TikTok videos
- Execute community management across social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and TikTok
- Identify relevant trending news and popular culture topics to allow Global G.L.O.W. to add our voice to the conversation
- After training, perform minor website updates as needed including uploading blogs and text edits
- Depending on experience and expertise, write blog pieces that support the general work of Global G.L.O.W in the following topics: international issues that affect girls, policies that affect girls, how our programs work on the ground, research supporting aspects of our programming, etc.
- Research and create best practices and toolkits for peer to peer fundraisers to have what they need to effectively promote Global G.L.O.W.’s work in their efforts
- Develop a system for curating photos and videos from various platforms to share with key stakeholders on a regular basis
- Assist with key stakeholder meetings via Zoom (~1 a month) by assisting with technical support, moderating chat, and helping prepare relevant materials for presentations
- Assist with curating a monthly stewardship newsletter, Listen to HER, by identifying photo and video assets to share and creating the newsletter.
- Contribute research and ideas to long-term external projects like OctobHER (International Month of the Girl) and the fall gala as needed
- Synthesize and format evaluation survey data received from our programs for further evaluation
- Review Special Project Reports and photos, tracking progress and flagging potential spotlight opportunities for the projects based on external appeal and likelihood of achieving expected outcomes. Potentially interview partners conducting special projects for further information. Coordinate with the team as needed for external spotlight opportunities
- Assist Curriculum writing team with formatting curriculum for finalized printing and translation needs
- Assist curriculum writing team by evaluating modules for intended outcomes
- Support communications and coordination across teams (Program Team, Communications, Strategic Partnerships) as needed
- Attend team meetings as needed
Relevant Experience and Qualifications
- Experience working with adolescent youth (girls)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work individually and collaboratively with flexibility, enthusiasm, efficiency, and diplomacy in a cross-cultural, international environment
- A self-starter who is internally driven to meet deadlines
- Responsive and communicative with team members
- Access to digital technology (smartphone, tablet, or computer) and internet necessary
- Comfort and facility working in a virtual environment (using Zoom, Google Meet, Google Calendar, Slack, WhatsApp as needed)
- Most importantly…. passionate for global gender equity and making sure girls voices are heard in seeking to improve the lives of adolescent girls around the world!
Time Commitment: 20 hours a week starting on a mutually agreed upon date in August through November/December (flexible start and end date). More hours might be available if desired.
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship opportunity.