IUPUI Student Job Description
Center for Youth and Adults with Conditions of Childhood (CYACC)
JOB TITLE: Administrative Assistant
ORGANIZATION NAME: IUPUI – Pediatrics Education
# of OPENINGS: 1
WORK SCHEDULE (AVERAGE HOURS/WEEK): 10-15
WAGE/SALARY (HOURLY WAGE): $11
This position will provide clerical support to administrative assistant of a transition support program for youth with disabilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (assign % of time spent in each area = total 100%)
25% Call clinic patients and schedule visits for transition services
50% Maintain accurate patient charts, assisting with filing, scanning, uploading, and organization of individual patient records.
12.5% Contact schools to obtain evaluations and IEP records
12.5% Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Tools and Equipment Used
Computer, copy/fax/scanning machine
Skills/Experience Gained in this Role (related toward student’s career/academic progress or major, and Principles of Undergraduate Learning)
· Core Communication and Quantitative Skills – Student will gain skills in communication working with an interdisciplinary team of physicians, social workers, nurses, and clerical staff. Additionally, student will reach out to a diverse patient base, through effective communication via a variety of mediums.
· Critical Thinking and Self Directedness– Student will work independently in office setting; provide input on office processes; interface with individuals from a variety of educational backgrounds in a fast-paced office environment. Student will need to accurately organize multiple records for patients and determine the appropriate location for items within the patient record.
· Consumer Centered and Good at Teamwork. Student will work with interdisciplinary team to meet the needs of families, work with accountability for own assignments, and reach out to the team when needing assistance or support.
· Understanding Society and Culture – Student will gain cultural awareness and understanding by working with a diverse group of professionals and clients. Student will increase understanding of the disability community.
· Values and Ethics – Student will maintain an utmost level of confidentiality for all medical records and information in accordance with HIPAA.
Education and Experience
Specialized coursework in general office practices such as typing and filing, and prior successful work experience under minimal supervision.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Working knowledge of computers and office equipment.
· Working knowledge, or interest and ability to expand knowledge, of medical practices and disability community.
· Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.
· Ability to communicate with staff members from a variety of backgrounds in a professional manner.
· Ability to communicate with patients and their families from a variety of backgrounds in a professional and confidential manner.
· Ability to perform duties under minimal supervision.
· Ability to follow instructions, accurately file paperwork and alphabetize patient charts.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is required to walk; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is performed primarily in an office setting. The noise level in the work environment is low to moderate.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
FOR INTERNAL USE:
Jennifer Hallinan, Clinical Manager