Office Support Assistant
General Purpose: The office support assistant position is an opportunity for a current IUPUI student to provide administrative support for phases 2 and 3 of the medical school curriculum.
This position is a part of the Operations arm of Medical Student Education and will serve as curriculum support in the Curriculum team for the IU School of Medicine. Students can expect to gain additional growth and development opportunities including on-going coaching and feedback on performance provided by supervisors according to a strict timeline of the program. Specific position projects and duties will vary by internship. Students in this program will be expected to participate in a variety of professional development learning modules in an online format throughout the year. On-site attendance may be expected.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Broken down by hours/week
· 7-10 hours - monitor uploading requests and data management requests for assigned Phase of the IUSM curriculum. assist with transactional processing, managing content specific to student-based resources, scheduling Zoom meetings, and conducting general administrative support duties and project support.
· 1-2 hours - support Statewide Course Coordinators groups/committee needs and complete projects and tasks related to:
o Meeting scheduling
o Workshop planning
o Other ongoing departmental events as needed
· 1-2 hours - Cross-collaborate with student employment staff and other IUSM colleagues and participate in weekly staff meetings and work groups.
· 1-2 hours – Other duties and special projects as assigned
Desired Minimum Qualifications:
· This position will begin in April with student funding through end of the academic year preferred.
· Requires weekly availability from 8:00 AM-5:00 PM in a minimum of 2-hour time blocks
Education and Experience:
· Enrollment as a student at IUPUI
· Student must be a Sophomore or Junior by academic standing.
· Candidates with experience in a customer service-related setting are encouraged to apply.
· Candidates with previous administrative support and/or event planning interests are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is limited to candidates with a Federal Work-Study Program award. To verify you have a work-study award, please go to your One.IU.edu account (look under Student Center and Financial Aid Summary). If you have an award, it will be listed with the rest of your financial aid (e.g., loans, grants, scholarships).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Demonstrated skill in communicating individually and in small group formats
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
· Comfortable answering the phone and returning phone calls when necessary
· Ability to work effectively with diverse populations
· Ability to professionally communicate student perspectives to staff and administrators
· Ability to learn new technology in support of events, marketing tactics, and office support
· Ability to positively represent IUPUI and the Office of Student Employment
· Ability to work independently to address concerns and questions following appropriate training.
In accordance with the IUPUI Profiles of Learning for Undergraduate Success, experience in this position will help students become acquainted with the following profiles:
• Communicator – The ability to listen, write, and speak effectively. The ability to assess a situation, seek multiple perspectives, gather more information if necessary, and identify key issues that need to be addressed.
• Innovator – The ability to design, plan, organize, and implement projects and tasks within a specific timeframe.
• Problem Solver –The ability to manage multiple assignments and tasks, set priorities, and adapt to changing conditions and work assignments. The ability to find/create solutions to problems using creativity, reasoning, past experiences, and available information and resources.
• Community contributor – The ability to demonstrate a sensitivity and awareness to other people and cultures. The ability to relate to co-workers, and inspire others to participate. The ability to maintain a productive climate and confidently motivate, mobilize, or coach other employees/students.