Assist the Office of e-Social Work Education & Practice in ensuring the accessibility of external online course resources. Various responsibilities include transcribing electronic PDFs into accessible Word documents, formatting Microsoft Word and Powerpoint documents for accessibility, and editing multimedia captioning in Kaltura MediaSpace. This position is remotely supervised by the Office’s Instructional Course Design & Development Team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (assign % of time spent in each area)
· 70% - Transcribing content
· 20% - Editing multimedia captioning
· 5% - Communicating/following up with course subject matter experts (SMEs)
· 5% - Other duties as assigned
AVERAGE HOURS /WEEK: 10 hours per week (Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 pm)
Education and Experience:
Current university student enrolled in a degree program with experience in general office practices with excellent communication skills and high attention to detail.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Working knowledge of computers and databases
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including use of the Accessibility Checker and use of Styles and Tables in Microsoft Word
• Working knowledge of Kaltura MediaSpace
• Working knowledge of Zoom video conferencing
• Proficient typing skills
• Ability to effectively communicate with coworkers
• Ability to be flexible and work independently from a remote location
SKILLS/EXPERIENCE GAINED IN THIS ROLE
(Related toward student’s career/academic progress or major, and Principles of Undergraduate Learning)
· Core Communication and Quantitative Skills – Student will gain skills in communication by responding to basic staff and faculty inquiries and requests.
· Critical Thinking – Student will work independently. When supervisor is not available, student will proactively prioritize and complete work
· Integration and Application of Knowledge – Student will assist with remediation requests by compiling non-accessible, external course resources (e.g., scanned PDFs, PPTs) into an accessible format.
· Intellectual Depth, Breadth, and Adaptiveness – Student may take on special projects as assigned, as opportunities arise, which are compatible with the student’s course of study.
· Understanding Society and Culture – Student will gain cultural awareness and understanding by working with a diverse group of staff and faculty
· Values and Ethics – Student will uphold confidentiality agreements with regards to personnel records.
Tools and Equipment Used:
Computer, including Microsoft Office Suite, Kaltura MediaSpace, Zoom video conferencing, Adobe Acrobat, and limited use of the Canvas Learning Management System
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, and hear. The employee is required to use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate a computer; and reach with hands and arms.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is performed primarily from a remote location.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.