Moxie Mentor - Youth and Young Adult Peer Supporter
We're Hiring Part-Time Peer Support Specialists - Remote!
- Note: For this cohort, interviews will be prioritized for top applicants who are OHIO residents, whose applications are received by April 12th, and who are available for live training required for certification as a peer support specialist Weekend Training (Saturday & Sunday, SKIPS MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND ): May 15, 16, 22, 23 & June 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 2021
Are you a college female who has a lived experience with a mental health or substance use challenge? Did you know that you can use your experience to become certified as a paraprofessional and help teen girls who are also in recovery? This is a paid opportunity.
- Studies have shown that 50% of all mental illnesses manifest by age 14, and our adolescent and teenage girls are two times more likely to experience depression than boys. Needless to say, we’re at a critical juncture with our pre-teen and teen girls, and we need your help.
- Read what one of our peer support specialists says about why she joined as a Moxie mentor: “I hope to help as many girls as possible and encourage them through this important time in their lives. I have gone through many ups and downs since my middle school years. What I have learned through my own mistakes and achievements will help others.”
Peer support is the process of giving and receiving encouragement and assistance to achieve long-term recovery. This job opportunity allows you to serve as a peer supporter who offers emotional support, shares knowledge, teaches skills, provides practical assistance and connects girls with resources.
Are you ready to join a national group of college females growing mentally strong, confident girls every day?
Moxie Girl Peer Supporter Role Description
Do you want to work with a company whose mission is to connect girls and young women with mental health recovery fast and peers who understand? Do you have a lived experience, meaning you are personally in recovery from a mental health or substance use issue? And are you a growth-minded female (or identify as female), with outstanding relationship and communications skills?
The ideal candidate must be willing to meet clients where they are, providing outstanding virtual peer services that promote recovery, self-determination, self-advocacy, well-being and independence. She takes initiative and has excellent customer service skills when interacting with professional health care providers.
Who We Are
Moxie Girl connects people fast with mental health recovery and peers who understand. 10 Million Mentally Strong, Confident Girls. Our mission is to build a world in which every girl can discover and confidently wear her moxie every day. Our remote team spends our days developing and delivering innovative approaches to strengthening the mental health and wellness of girls and young women in today’s world. Want to learn more about the founders? Meet Lydia Henshaw and Heather Moster.
What We Are Seeking
We are expanding our team of Peer Supporters, whose mission is to inspire, guide and provide valuable, trustworthy support that moves girls and/or young women forward in their behavioral or mental health recovery journey.
A Typical Week at Moxie Girl
- Connecting with each new client in your caseload and coordinate ongoing sessions.
- Delivering valuable peer support services to each of your clients (caseload of ~5-7 clients), holding 1 hour sessions per client weekly, inside the Moxie Girl app.
- Empowering girls and young women to achieve their hopes, dreams, and goals, moving them forward with their personal recovery journey.
- Guiding clients in developing and articulating their personal goals for recovery.
- Providing resources and supports for their goals.
- Assisting clients in working with their providers (case managers, social workers, therapists, etc.) to determine steps to take in order to achieve goals in their service plans.
- Working with clients in identifying and working through fears and combating negative self-talk. Teaching her self-advocacy and empowerment skills.
- Share and role model the value of each individual’s recovery experience.
- Modeling effective coping techniques and self-help strategies, as appropriate.
- Identifying person-centered strengths, needs, and abilities.
- Teaching basic problem solving strategies, encouraging progress, celebrating learning.
- Sharing messages of encouragement outside of sessions.
- Documenting services/codes in the customer medical records timely and accurately, and recording hours in Moxie Girl software.
- Maintaining your personal recovery.
- Maintaining HIPAA compliance in all behavior.
- Participating in Moxie weeklies to ask for help, share feedback on areas for improvement, support other Moxie peer supporters.
What you need
- Strong Listening Skills
- Reflects, stays present, encourages
- Asks great questions
- Responds sensitively
- Adaptability to meet client where she is
- Attention to detail
- Situational awareness
- Shows initiative
- Verbal and communication skills
- Monitoring progress
- Stress coping strategies; works well under pressure
What we offer
- Meaningful work - This is your opportunity to have a powerful impact on adolescents and young women, through innovative delivery of mental health recovery and support, at scale.
- Collaborative environment - collaborative, cheerful remote teammates working together to build the best mobile application for girls’ mental health.
- Professional experience in a part-time role as a subcontractor for Moxie Girl.
We are remote teammates.