From presenting animal chats and feed demonstrations, to facilitating Dolphin Meet and Greet programs, and helping guests to learn more about all there is to experience at the Zoo, it takes an energetic, passionate individual to be a Zoo Interpreter!
Ideal candidates are committed to advancing the Zoo’s mission to protect nature and inspire people to care for our world. Displaying a professional, positive, respectful, cooperative, and enthusiastic attitude to all guests, volunteers, and coworkers is vital to this position. The ability to communicate ideas in an engaging verbal manner is required for the position. Prior experience working with the public, especially children in a formal or informal educational institution is highly desirable. A high school diploma or equivalent is required. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is preferred.
This position will work approximately 30 hours per week in the peak season (early May to mid-October). The pay rate for this part-time (30 hours or less per week) position is $10.75/ hr. Flexibility on availability is required due to programming and attendance throughout the year. Holidays and weekends are required.
Position Requirements and Experience:
- Ability to work outdoors and indoors under all environmental conditions and temperatures.
- Effective communication skills to respond to difficult controversial questions appropriately.
- Electronic media/ technology, computer and word processing abilities preferred.
- Possesses excellent public speaking skills.
- In months of lower visitation, will develop interpretative projects for chats, shows, and experiences.
- In months of lower visitation, will conduct research for existing and/ or new experiences and update training materials.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to assess situations, use good procedure/ judgment and follow through.
- Strong organizational and communication skills are required.
- Working knowledge of interpretive techniques.
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of pre-employment testing including a criminal history and driving record check, and a drug test.
- Interested candidates must complete an online Zoo application by the April 15, 2021 application deadline.
- Attach a resumé and cover letter to your application to increase your chances.
The Indianapolis Zoo is proud to be a Drug-Free/ Smoke-Free/ Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)/ Child-Safe Work Environment.