Technology Services Lead
The primary purpose of the Client Support Team (CST) Technology Services Lead position is to serve as a weekend and/or evening Lead responsible for the operations of the UL Technology Services Desk and any events occurring in the building. This employee is the single CST point of contact when no other UL CST Full-Time employees are working, and is responsible for all technology outages and troubleshooting throughout the public and staff areas including conference rooms, classrooms and the Lilly Auditorium. This position works closely with the full time Service and Information Desk staff as well as with staff and public guests requiring expert technical assistance. This position works with minimal supervision on approved projects for CST.
- Performs a variety of complex information technology support duties to ensure smooth delivery of technology services.
- Utilizes computer equipment, software, and diagnostic tools to perform a broad range of customer assistance, production job processing, equipment maintenance repair and computer operations assignments.
- Updates CST Management on status of projects and technical issues.
- Exercises judgment and creativity in selecting and applying procedures correctly, and determines when to refer problems to the supervisor or the next level of support.
- Will provide information and training to students, staff, faculty, or general public on established policies and procedures, or services provided.
- Develops and tests user documentation.
- Works with hardware vendors to resolve equipment failures/problems.
- Will monitor & perform routine technology security checks on UL systems.
- Mentor student employees on technical issues.
- Provide support to Technology Services Consultants for Tier 2 support and patron issues.
- Assist CST full-time staff with current support issues that occur at the Technology Services Desk or event rooms.
- Demonstrate exemplary interpersonal communication skills and professionalism.
- Assist students/faculty/staff with multimedia projects which incorporate video and audio editing, photo and graphics editing, and Adobe Creative Suite applications.
Essential Functions (% time spent)
Under supervision of CST Management
- 25% Serve as Tier 2 Support for all University Library Staff and Faculty and community patrons.
- 25% Serve as technology expert for Technology Services Consultants, assisting with more complex and involved requests and incidents.
- 25% Serve as technology expert on high profile and special events.
- 15% Complete projects assigned by UL CST Management, based on weekly CST Management Team Agenda Meetings.
- 5% Observe areas of service that have the potential for improvements and develop solutions to present to CST Management.
- 5% Assess and train new and current Technology Services Consultants staff on software/hardware support based on Technician Training Methodology.
- Must be able to remain calm and think clearly to prioritize and plan a course of action then communicate effectively during stressful outages and encounters.
- Must be highly proficient in customer service.
- Ability to work with and lead student employees by effectively delegating tasks and special projects.
- Must think outside of the box and perform well under pressure.
- Experience with instruction or training
- Excellent presentation skills
- Computing skills across PC and Mac environments
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
SKILLS/EXPERIENCE GAINED IN THIS ROLE
Student will gain a more in-depth understanding of IT support at an administrative level. They will gain hands on experience working in an IT environment, and will be involved in work that includes:
Student employee will learn many of the basic and intermediate skills related to the field of Computer IT support, including troubleshooting and diagnosing technology related issues.
Employee will gain experience working directly with customers with various levels of technical knowledge, while providing quality service and solutions.
Employees will be encouraged to pursue CompTIA Project+ certifications.