INFORMATION SPECIALIST PURPOSE
Information Specialists serve as members of the frontline team and directly interact with potential, returning, and currently enrolled students every day. The core responsibilities of the Information Specialist position are answering inquiries regarding IUPUI’s admissions process and requirements. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions assists with nearly 15,000 walk-in visitors, over 40,000 in-coming phone calls, and more than 35,000 in-bound emails annually. This position helps ensure that excellent customer service is provided to current and potential students, campus representatives, and the public during every interaction.
As an Information Specialist, you are the first point of contact at IUPUI. If selected for the Information Specialist position, you will be responsible for answering inbound and outbound communications, assembling and packaging the admissions packets, greeting and assisting daily visitors, and answering basic admissions-related questions over the phone, by email, and face-to-face in the Admissions Center.
- Provide information to prospective students and parents regarding admission policies and procedures; as well as other university-related programs, deadlines, financial aid, scholarship eligibility, housing, orientation, academic units, and student accounts
- Demonstrate exemplary customer service to all visitors
- Possess the ability to maintain the privacy of confidential files
- Comfortable working with the public
- Represent IUPUI in a positive and professional manner
- Greet visitors with a smile and a positive attitude
- Problem-solve; assist in finding solutions for prospective students and guests inquiries
- Interact with applicants to aid in completing applications
- Review and accept required admissions paperwork and documentation
- Refer new students, parents and visitors to the appropriate resources as needed
- Correspond with students regarding missing application information
- Must be willing to commit to serving as an Information Specialist for a minimum of two years
- Requires year-round availability
- Must be available for Friday staff meetings, 10:30-11:30AM
- Must be currently enrolled at IUPUI in an undergraduate program
- Must be in good academic standing (no academic probation or dismissal)
- Must maintain a minimum of 2.25 GPA (cumulative)
- Must posses the ability to respect and maintain confidential information
- Must possessive excellent planning and multi-tasking skills
- Must possess enthusiasm for IUPUI
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communications skills and strong attention to detail
- Must possess the desire to help others
- Must be able to work with people of diverse backgrounds
- Must exhibit competence and patience in a fast-paced environment
- Must be hard working and dependable
- Must be a team player (selfless)
- Must have strong keyboarding skills, working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Working knowledge of basic office equipment and machines, including but not limited to copiers, printers, scanners, phones, and computers
- Customer service experience is preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Gained in this Role
The core values that our office shares is a commitment to: Respect, Accountability, Inclusivity
The essential elements that our office upholds as teaching values are: Education, Engagement, Enjoyment
You will learn to:
- Produce high quality, dependable and relevant work that meets expectations to achieve an outcome of excellence
- Approach your work with integrity and humility
- Consistently demonstrate the values of leadership expected of others (walk the talk)
- Advocate, innovate, and push boundaries in support of equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Challenge, support, and empower others both internally and externally
- Respectfully and collaboratively serve with an authentic attitude of care, concern, and intentionality
- Continue to seek knowledge in order to make informed and innovative decisions
- Support team and mission by taking ownership and initiative, and being accountable
- Communicate honestly and respectfully, listen actively, maintain confidentiality, and ask questions to ensure expectations are understood
- Communicate in a transparent, considerate, and timely manner
- Use different technology systems, such as Salesforce, Student Information Systems (SIS), and OnBase
Work Study (highly preferred) or Hourly Pay
On average, a fully trained Information Specialists works between 15 to 20 hours a week
Average length of training
Training will take between 6-8 weeks to complete
Please answer the following questions on a separate sheet of paper. You may either type or neatly write your answers. There is no required length. Answer the questions as completely and honestly as possible.
1. Why are you interested in the Information Specialist position and what skills would you bring to the Admissions Center Team?
2. Describe the customer service skills you have used in previous jobs or service organization positions (paid or volunteer).
3. List techniques or attitudes you think are important in a customer service position.
4. Give an example describing how you served a difficult or confrontational customer in a previous job
5. Are you work-study eligible? Check with Office of Student Financial Services if you’re not sure.