IUPUI Urban Garden Associate - Undergraduate Position
Hiring Unit: IUPUI Office of Sustainability
Job Title: IUPUI Urban Garden Associate (Undergraduate student position)
Salary: $1800 scholarship
Hours: 12-15 hours/week, summer term
IUPUI Sustainability seeks to empower staff, faculty and students to ensure a lasting positive impact. With a mission to to be recognized as a national leader in urban sustainability while supporting student success and the well-being of citizens of Indianapolis, the state of Indiana, and beyond. By transforming our university into a living lab, we are testing innovative solutions in our own community, and creating a legacy rooted in diverse partnerships to develop bold solutions for the classroom, the campus, and the city. Together we can sustain IUPUI!
The IUPUI Urban Garden Associate will want to gain knowledge and experience in the areas of urban organic gardening. The Garden Associate will coordinate production and harvest of produce grown in the two IUPUI Urban Gardens for use by IUPUI Food Services, The Campus Kitchen at IUPUI, PAWS Pantry, the monthly IUPUI Fresh Produce Market, and donations to other local community organizations. The Garden Associate will coordinate volunteer activities and be available to mentor IUPUI students in the art and science of urban and organic gardening.
Duties, Functions, and Responsibilities include:
Garden Management (80%)
- Management of the two IUPUI campus urban gardens, including planning, planting, maintaining, harvesting, tracking, and scheduling volunteers, as needed.
- Coordinate, communicate and participate in all urban gardening and garden food rescue efforts on the IUPUI campus.
- Coordinate with other Garden Associates and IUPUI Sustainability Staff.
- Facilitate and collaborate with IUPUI Sustainability, The Campus Kitchen at IUPUI, PAWS Pantry, the IUPUI Center for Young Children, IUPUI Food Services, and other local food initiatives both on campus and in the local community.
- Establish reporting criteria and outcomes to support and enhance partnerships and production tracking
- Incorporate sources of fresh produce into the various on-campus local food initiatives.
- Represent IUPUI to build and service partnerships and relationships with other community members who are active in urban and organic gardening.
- Assist in the development of new partnerships within the campus and greater Indianapolis community.
- Develop educational workshops, volunteer and service-learning opportunities.
- Promote campus gardens and engagement opportunities through presentations, verbal and written communications
- Advertise campus sustainability projects that enhance and highlight greenspace practices and events; Advertise service learning events and recruit volunteers;
- Manage the IUPUI Urban Gardens social media accounts.
Professional Development & Training (10%)
- Attend weekly urban agriculture training sessions on location at Growing Places Indy (address: 727 N Oriental St, Indianapolis, IN 46202)
- When appropriate, the Garden Associate will also attend seminars, workshops, networking events, and conferences as a representative of IUPUI Sustainability.
- Research and seek out new sources of funding for the gardens and food-related initiatives.
Characteristics of a Strong Candidate/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The following are essential for this position: initiative, self-motivation, attention to detail, highly organized, skills/familiarity with urban and organic gardening practices, professionalism, comfortable working with many different types of people, natural ease in new situations, ability and willingness to work in outdoor conditions. Personal transportation may be necessary. Candidates must be in good academic standing (Undergraduate minimum GPA: 2.75). This position is open to students of any major.
Upload the following:
- A brief, written response to the following questions: (1) Why is sustainability important to you (2) What do you hope to learn as a result of this experience? How will it help you move forward in your academic or professional career?