Youth Education Internship (@ Victory Garden Initiative)
Youth Education Internship at Victory Garden Initiative in Milwaukee, WI - shared by Jobs That Help as a third party
The Youth Education Internship is an opportunity to expand your knowledge of urban food production, gain connections with the Milwaukee food scene, and hone great communication skills while supporting the creation of a more sustainable and socially just food system. This internship will provide specific experience in all areas of environmental education including curriculum design, program planning, evaluation, direct education opportunities in both outdoor and indoor settings, and exposure to urban conservation and agriculture specific curriculum.
Note that this is an unpaid internship. That being said, we do our best to focus on hands-on training and cross-training opportunities in different departments or with our partner organizations. Interns are able to access free produce from the farm and participate in any of our educational workshops for free as well.
- Collaborate with Youth Programs Coordinator to plan and implement the year-round YEP! Youth Education Program which consists of Summer AgriCorps, Farm Field Trips, and After School Garden Clubs (note that field trips are suspended due to Covid)
- Assist with developing the YEP! Curriculum, learning to write thorough lesson plans with extensive modification opportunities to accommodate the many learning environments and diverse youth we work with,
- Assist in marketing educational programs including helping to develop materials (flyers, brochures, social media posts, etc), and distributing materials (canvassing, putting up posters, attending community meetings),
- Assist with the upkeep of the Youth Education Garden (10 raised beds), school garden at Riverwest Academy (4 beds), and pollinator beds throughout farm from May-October,
- Complete other duties as assigned and interested.
The vast majority of this position will take place in an outdoor work environment and thus risk of transmission is reduced. Our staff do practice social distancing and mask wearing and as an intern, you will be expected to conform to these policies whenever you are on the premises or representing VGI. Staff are allowed to remove their masks when working outdoors so long as social distancing is maintained. We will have a supply of disposable masks, hand sanitizer, and sanitizer to clean shared tools on hand. Please let us know if you have any questions or special accommodations related to COVID safety in regards to this internship when you apply.
First and foremost, you must respect that Victory Garden Initiative is an Anti-Racist Organization and stands in Allyship with Black Lives Matter, LGBTQIA+ rights, Gender Equality, and other social justice movements. You must be willing to learn about social justice issues and unpack your own biases, or this position will not be a good fit for you.
- Ability to pass a background check is required in order to work directly with youth.
- Experience working with youth in some setting (
- Proficiency in MS Office, Google Suite (drive, gmail, etc),
- Responsible, able to follow through on assignments and work independently,
- Able to commit to a regular schedule,
- Interest in food system issues,
- Students majoring in environmental education, middle school education, camp counseling, biology, or natural resources preferred