IMS Golf & Grounds Intern, Spring or Summer | 2021
DURATION OF INTERNSHIP: Flexible with schedule through August-October 2021
Be a part of the team that maintains the most unique turf and landscape in sports. The Golf and Grounds Department of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is responsible for maintaining the turf and landscape of the historic motor speedway, including the Brickyard Crossing Golf Course. Brickyard Crossing, designed by architect Pete Dye, features 4 holes inside of the motor speedway and has hosted PGA, Senior PGA, and LPGA Tour events. Under the Superintendent’s supervision, Interns will participate in the overall planning and maintenance of both IMS grounds and golf course maintenance. Perspective interns should have the goal of working as a Golf Course Superintendent or Sports Business or Management industry. This is a hands-on learning experience intended to help the candidate grow professionally. This is a flexible internship; begin and end dates and daily work schedules can be adjusted around school schedules, please inquire.
- Be a part of the unique preparations, event execution, and cleanup for multiple IndyCar races including the Indianapolis 500 and the Harvest Grand Prix from the facilities and grounds management perspective.
- Under the guidance of the Golf & Grounds leadership team, participate in the planning, carrying out, and follow up of all agronomic practices performed on the IMS campus.
- Assist in all aspects of maintaining a championship level golf course.
- Assist the Irrigation Coordinator in maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing an irrigation system with over 5,000+ irrigation heads.
- Assists in scheduling, assigning tasks, and management of crew members.
- Assist in the calibration and application of plant protection products and fertilizers.
- Assists in community outreach project maintaining properties of active duty military families.
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to the company and the Vision, Mission and Values.
- Complete regular ‘Career Advancement Assignments’ to strengthen resume moving forward.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
- Currently pursuing, or graduated with, a degree in Golf Course Management, Turfgrass Management, Sports Management, or related fields.
- Candidate must possess positive attitude, strong work ethic, attention to detail, eagerness to learn and organizational skills.
- High integrity, strong people skills, and effective communication skills.
- Innovative thinker and self-starter with perseverance to work on a team to succeed.
- Requires valid driver's license.
Benefits for Interning with IMS
- Experience the unique, behind the scenes history of the 100+ year Indianapolis Motor Speedway firsthand.
- Gain experience in preparing for, hosting, and cleanup of major racing and golf events including the Indianapolis 500, Brickyard 400, and other events.
- Uniforms provided + golfing privileges.
- Ticket Accommodations for all IMS sponsored events.
In season hours requires 45-60 hours per week. Start time is 6:00am but may vary due to event demands. Required one weekend day per week and may require holidays depending on event schedule and subsequent workload.
Flexible schedules can be made for students currently enrolled in classes.
Any physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and listen. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The position involves walking or standing for long periods of time throughout the day. The position requires lifting, up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently work outdoors, which requires physical strength and stamina to endure extreme heat, cold, rain and other adverse weather conditions. The employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment can be loud, due to professional racing events and mowing equipment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Penske Entertainment provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities and/or events.