Mathematics Assistance Center (MAC) - B-Level Mentor (Fall 2021)
Overview/General Information: The Mathematics Assistance Center is a peer-to-peer tutoring center on IUPUI’s campus for selected math, statistics, business, and SPEA classes. This job requires you to tutor a selection of these courses. Every student enrolled in one of these selected classes is assessed a fee for the Mathematics Assistance Center that covers tutoring for the entire semester. We are a no-appointment needed, walk-in only facility with hours 6 days a week, Sunday-Friday.
B-level Mentors must be able to tutor Math 11000, 11100, 15300, 15400, 15900
Qualifications: Must have completed Math 15400 or 15900
This position requires being personable, handling stressful situations at times with patience, and being able to explain topics in different ways. Being willing to ask for help when you do not remember how to do something. Being a team player is essential.
- Pay- 1st Semester $1900 scholarship
Renewable for 4 semesters (Associate Director's Discretion)
Credited to Bursar Account 3 weeks after the semester starts.
1st Semester Expectations:
- 6.5 hrs/week on floor
- Homework (every 2 weeks)
- 1 sit-in per week (attend a B-level class)
- UCOL Class (Once per week) Total Hours/Wk= 9.5
- Fall Semester- required to attend the National Mentoring Symposium here at IUPUI
- Fall/Spring Semester- required to work one Final Exam Jam night (end of semester)
- If you have to miss your shift then you have to make up the hours missed.
- Trade shifts when possible.
- No mentors during Summer Sessions. Will have to become a tutor.
Through their work in this position, students will become acquainted with the following profiles.
Communicator – Students will learn how to be better communicators by building relationships with peers and fellow students. Individuals in this position will improve their active listening skills by interacting with and assisting other students in their understanding of mathematics.
Problem Solver – Students will collaborate with peers in improving the clients math skills. They will use active listening as well as previous experience to assist other students in the quest for a better understanding of mathematics.